Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help!! Losing Power and Dash lights up like a Christmas tree!!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!! Losing Power and Dash lights up like a Christmas tree!!

Hey guys,

I am having intermittent power loss while driving down the road. The speedo and tach go to zero and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree. This last all from 1 - 5 seconds. I took it to the stealership and of course they could not replicate the problem and there were no stored codes. Not sure if any of you experienced this or have any ideas.

Oh yeah, before this started happening my sway bar disconnect would flash from time to time. I had the dealer check the connection and all is well... not sure if this is a sympton of the problem above but thought I'd mention it.

I have no special wiring on my Jeep whatsoever so I have not jacked with any of the wiring...

Thanks!!

Last edited by scooby snacks; 04-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it sounds like the ECM ?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a smartphone and the sway bar disconnect starts to flash take a video of it (not picture) then show the vid to the stealership.

does sound like a ECU problem
Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have an electronic sway bar disconnect the connector can cause havac with the electronics, Google it, lots of threads like this one.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...rness-boot-mod
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Same exact thing happened to me, it was the electric sway bar disconnect wiring connector that got some water in it and shorted the system, I just unplugged it and put a ziploc bag over it and zip tied it on real tight, hasn't happened since
Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah, I bet mine got wet, dirty, muddy, etc., when I went wheeling at Uwharrie the past 2 weekends . I guess I will get an inner tube, gorilla glue and duct tape and make it water proof to see if that helps.

It went crazy 4 times today and it may be related to me taking it through the car wash today... I had to get all of that yellow pollen off!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me tell ya what to do. Mine did the total same thing. I even lost cruise control! This is going to sound stupid but it will blow your mind.

Ready.... Open your hood, go to the passenger side fuse box between the air filter and the battery. Open it up by the 2 latches and press firmly on each fuse and component under the latch. You will feel about 60% of then aren't firmly in the fuse or relay holder. You will feel them settle in the holder and you will freak out that the shit is just sitting there.

Since I have done this I haven't had one flicker on my gauges or instrument cluster.... No ding ding ding...... And my cruise works !

Please spread the word of this bullshit and have everyone do this!

Last edited by Maniacal; 04-13-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Maniacal
Let me tell ya what to do. Mine did the total same thing. I even lost cruise control! This is going to sound stupid but it will blow your mind.

Ready.... Open your hood, go to the passenger side fuse box between the air filter and the battery. Open it up by the 2 latches and press firmly on each fuse and component under the latch. You will feel about 60% of then aren't firmly in the fuse or relay holder. You will feel them settle in the holder and you will freak out that the shit is just sitting there.

Since I have done this I haven't had one flicker on my gauges or instrument cluster.... No ding ding ding...... And my cruise works !

Please spread the word of this bullshit and have everyone do this!

I am going to try this first thing in the morning!! I will let you know if it works.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to the wifes 07 JKU back in Dec.09. Had it to the dealerships a few times and they could not duplicate the problem. Finally it happened to me when I was about 2 blocks from the dealership. I re-started the JK and drove to the dealership. They had it for 2 days checking components. They found the TIPM had corrosion on the terminals. They replaced the TIPM as well as a wiring harness. Has not happened since.

Quick Reply: Help!! Losing Power and Dash lights up like a Christmas tree!!