Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me identify this brake noise!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify this brake noise!

I've been trying to figure out what this noise is for weeks! It's bugging me. It's a faint, intermittent (slows as the Jeep comes to a stop) squeaking noise that only occurs when I lightly press the brakes. It starts as a squeaking, then as the Jeep eventually slows to a stop, it sounds like more of a grinding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the back left (driver's side) wheel, but I'm not sure. The squeaking stops when I press the brakes harder, and it only seems to happen when I'm going forward (although I never get much speed in reverse).

Here's a poor-quality video for reference: View My Video

Kind of hard to hear in the video, but it's there (turn up your volume). You can hear it squeak a little and then turn into a scrape/grinding noise as the jeep slows down and stops.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Inspected rotors on both back wheels- they look fine
2) Inspected brake pads on both back wheels- still thick and fairly new
3) Lubed-up the brake pins on the rear driver's side brake caliper
4) Made sure nothing was scratching against the rotor (rocks, debris, etc.)

I'm wondering if it has to do with the emergency brake? I've tried adjusting the hand lever to make sure it's in the off position. That didn't help. I'm not sure what else to do!
Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't get the video to work but any chance you have a bent rear axle flange? Do you have a heavy wheel and tire combo? JKU? Been offroad lately?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Couldn't get the video to work but any chance you have a bent rear axle flange? Do you have a heavy wheel and tire combo? JKU? Been offroad lately?
Yes, JK Unlimited with 33" tires on the stock wheels. I have not been off-road lately.

I don't think I have a bent axle, mainly because I don't detect any wheel wobble or shaking at high speeds. But I won't rule it out as a possibility.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Nigel
Yes, JK Unlimited with 33" tires on the stock wheels. I have not been off-road lately. I don't think I have a bent axle, mainly because I don't detect any wheel wobble or shaking at high speeds. But I won't rule it out as a possibility.
Bent axle FLANGE .... Not axle lol
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Bent axle FLANGE .... Not axle lol
Good call, I didn't catch that at first. Yes axle shaft flange.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't I get wheel wobble and shaking if the axle flange was bent? I don't think the flange is bent, but I'll check.

I'm really thinking it has something to do with the parking break. Do the parking break pads need to be replaced every now and then? I don't think I've ever had mine replaced...
Old 09-06-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Wouldn't I get wheel wobble and shaking if the axle flange was bent? I don't think the flange is bent, but I'll check. I'm really thinking it has something to do with the parking break. Do the parking break pads need to be replaced every now and then? I don't think I've ever had mine replaced...
Not necessarily. Had a friend bend his quite badly on an offroad trip and he drove 5 hours home afterwards and didn't notice much change in the handling. Most obvious sign was the squeak coming from the brake rotor because of the bent flange. Similar symptom. Repetitive squeak that was speed sensitive.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I just checked to see if it was the axle flange and now I'm thinking that it is.

I chocked the front tires, jacked up the back end and spun the wheels. Low and behold, the back left wheel is wobbling and I can see/hear the brake caliper moving back and forth. Super bummer- I was hoping this was going to be an easy fix.

So, you were right PsychoCupcake! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Now what do I do about this? Do I have to replace the entire axle? Or just the axle shaft? Or is there a way to straighten-out the axle flange?

Last edited by Nigel; 09-12-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just checked to see if it was the axle flange and now I'm thinking that it is. I chocked the front tires, jacked up the back end and spun the wheels. Low and behold, the back left wheel is wobbling and I can see/hear the brake caliper moving back and forth. Super bummer- I was hoping this was going to be an easy fix. So, you were right PsychoCupcake! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Now what do I do about this? Do I have to replace the entire axle? Or just the axle shaft? Or is there a way to straighten-out the axle flange?
Just replace the axleshaft
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Factory 10 shafts from northridge 4x4 with bearing and retainers installed for easy 40 minute job. I believe elevated off-road sells carbon brand which is the same assembled for $365 so not an expensive fix. Hit @kjeeper10 up for who it was.

Last edited by jadmt; 09-12-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me identify this brake noise!