Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help with prioritizing mods... PLease!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with prioritizing mods... PLease!

Hello all- Let me start by saying how amazing this forum is! This seems to be the best group of people on the web. I know there are numerous posts asking for help starting but most people replying always ask for some specifics to help with ideas. I am trying to maximize my enjoyment on a budget. I will only be able to do one mod/upgrade every few months so I need to choose wisely. I have a stock JKU with rims off a Rubicon with 255-75-17 Silent Armor Tires (tires new wont be changing soon). I just added cruise thanks to this forum and have done a few small cosmetic things. I do not see myself doing hardcore rock crawling. I am from MN and spend 85% on road as daily driver but when off road generally in mud, water, and in woods. I use my jeep for hunting, towing ATV, occasionally pulling stumps/rocks to improve road to shack. I guess that about does it. Any help would be amazing. Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with body armor on the low hanging parts,
This will keep you from damaging things that will cost more to fix than to protect.

Next, a small lift like the 2.5 inch teraflex lift. This helps raise the low hanging bits a little higher, also protecting them. With the 2.5 lift, you should be able to avoid major costs for adjustable arms and driveshafts ( at least for a while). Since you are keeping the tires you have for a while, keep the lift small. ( though you should be able to go to 35 eventually.

Then bumpers, and potentially a winch.

Tom

Originally Posted by chopper3330
Hello all- Let me start by saying how amazing this forum is! This seems to be the best group of people on the web. I know there are numerous posts asking for help starting but most people replying always ask for some specifics to help with ideas. I am trying to maximize my enjoyment on a budget. I will only be able to do one mod/upgrade every few months so I need to choose wisely. I have a stock JKU with rims off a Rubicon with 255-75-17 Silent Armor Tires (tires new wont be changing soon). I just added cruise thanks to this forum and have done a few small cosmetic things. I do not see myself doing hardcore rock crawling. I am from MN and spend 85% on road as daily driver but when off road generally in mud, water, and in woods. I use my jeep for hunting, towing ATV, occasionally pulling stumps/rocks to improve road to shack. I guess that about does it. Any help would be amazing. Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A set of 1 1/2'' wheel spacers is a good early mod, especially on a daily driver. It will give you three more inches of track width and makes the JK feel much more stable.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Priorities...

No question you should get a winch. A Jeep is simply a different machine with a winch on it and you had mentioned that you do alot of pulling. That's what I use my winch for most of the time. It's a very easy mod. Also it is harder to get stuck somewhere in the woods.

I agree with the lift kit for better clearance but the price (and PITA factor) can get high.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont have a 2011, or any year rubi, or manual tranny, i'd install an aftermarket aux cooler. cost me $50ish
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Since you don't do much wheeling and the Jeep is already a beast off road in stock trim. Maybe some aftermarket lights. You could mount some on your windshield with a bracket. They would be functional in the dark/inclement weather and add to the looks at the same time. My .02
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

This is great! Thanks to everyone. I cant stop thinking about what to do next! I am not far from Burnsville off road. I think they are a supporter of this site. If not I hope I wont get in trouble for using the name. They generally do engine swaps so I hope they dont laugh at me when I tell them the minor things I want. I am going Friday to check out what they have. For some reason I am nervous to order some major parts online.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Is aux cooler difficult? I am not a machanic by any strech

I am not a mechanic by any stretch
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

For some reason I am nervous to order some major parts online.

Check out Northridge4x4 in my Sig. Seriously they have the best prices/service and the are come highly recommended on this forum and that’s for a reason. We Jeepers spend wayyyyyy too much money and have to order parts quite frequently.

Last edited by shockwaveaz; 03-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not a mechanic by any stretch
No. I'm an idiot, mechanically speaking, and I managed to install mine correctly.

Maybe it took me a few hours, but then again, I am no mechanic!

Quick Reply: Help with prioritizing mods... PLease!