Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help/Question Lowering Soft Top.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/Question Lowering Soft Top.

First let me introduce myself my name is Brian and at the beginning of the month I picked up my first Wrangler I have an Unlimited Red Rock Sahara. I live in South Florida so almost any day COULD be a good day to take the top down.

So the dealer couldn't show me how to take the top down because it was raining when I picked it up, I went back and they had someone show me and the way they put it down it wasn't as organized as I had seen, they actually had the bars on the top attached to the rear part of the roll bar with the velcro straps. This is not how I see how it should be in the Jeep brochure, from any pictures, and also on Project-jk walk through, I can not for the life of me get the whole top IN TO the jeep, or even for the bars to lay flat. Any suggestions? or pictures would be helpful, Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default here

it's a 49 minute video, but you'll probably only need to watch the first 20 minutes or so...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I still dont see what I am doing differently but Ill try later, I am also assuming that this is a little different with the JK Unlimited. Any other tips?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Its not to hard, but you really need 2 people to do it. My wife and I have it done in about 5-15 min.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

I can get it by myself down to where Ive had it (getting it back on is the more difficult part) but its the correct way that I cant get the hang of(or at all) the only difference in the video than what I am doing is the flaps you fold on top of the roof, the fold isnt as high as theres, as in I keep mine on the rear bow where it seems that they fold it above the bow, Im wondering if that could be it, I get home at like 6:45 so Ill try it then just to see.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Well to get the top inside the body you will have to tuck in the corners. There is a thread in here showing someone's duster cover. A search should yeid some results. The biggest problem most people have is getting the initial folds correct. (sunrider position) Check the sunrider write up if you haven't already. If your top is drooping into the rear passenger seat compartment, the top isn't folded correctly. THis will cause the "legs" or bows to stand up when the top is folded down the rest of the way. They will line up nicely with the roll bar legs in this config. Sounds like what the dealer did. My dealer did the same thing. You think they would have a little time here & there in that showroom to read some manuals.

Here's the key. There are 2 places on the rain gutter that have x's moulded into them & the channel is cut so they can fold. These 2 "elbows" should be bent to face the back of jeep.

If you look at the picture above, that is what my top "wants" to do. 2 big loose folds. YOU have to bend the elbows against the droop between the 2 bows yeilding this.

Fixed the pics and added typo's here & there.

Last edited by Ge99ne; 08-29-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Well to get the top inside the body you will have to tuck in the corners. There is a thread in here showing someone's duster cover. A search should yeid some results. The biggest problem most people have is getting the initial folds correct. (sunrider position) Check the sunrider write up if you haven't already. If your top is drooping into the rear passenger seat compartment, the top isn't folded correctly. THis will cause the "legs" or bows to stand up when the top is folded down the rest of the way. They will line up nicely with the roll bar legs in this config. Sounds like what the dealer did. My dealer did the same thing. You think they would have a little time here & there in that showroom to read some manuals.

Here's the key. There are 2 places on the rain gutter that have x's moulded into them & the channel is cut so they can fold. These 2 "elbows" should be bent to face the back of jeep.

If you look at the picture above, that is what my top "wants" to do. 2 big loose folds. YOU have to bend the elbows against the droop between the 2 bows yeilding this.

Fixed the pics and added typo's here & there.
x2 on this, The neater the sunrider fold is done, the neater the rest folds. Its really easy once you get it right the first time... It was like a light bulb going on for us!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool I screwed this up too, I bet this is it...

If you just flip back the top, the sailcloth folds will naturally fall along a line as indicated in RED (kinda sagging into the back seat and half-covering your rear passengers).

What you need to do, is "invert the folds" (YELLOW), and get the folds to lie as shown in the picture above. You may feel like you're forcing it, and it will require lifting the top a little to make it happen. The plastic retainers have some cut-outs to allow for this. Once you do this and you unlatch the top and fold it the rest of the way back, I think you'll find that you can get the top all the way down.

Hope that made sense.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Here's a pic of the wrong way. note the lack of folds & droopey roof.

I'm sick of this $&^%&!!! roof hitting me in the head
Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

How about a pic of it all the way down. I think I got the above part right but it still looks like it is sitting a little high. The metal pcs seen above are running papallel with the bed only a few inch's higher than it. Is this how they should rest?

Quick Reply: Help/Question Lowering Soft Top.