Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help/Question Lowering Soft Top.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mountaineer's jeep. He has boot & a write up on how to keep it neat. The bars are gonna run above unless your top sits on the body. Then they can droop below the belt line.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, any link to this thread?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Looks nice. I need one of those boots.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by P8RE8

If you just flip back the top, the sailcloth folds will naturally fall along a line as indicated in RED (kinda sagging into the back seat and half-covering your rear passengers).

What you need to do, is "invert the folds" (YELLOW), and get the folds to lie as shown in the picture above. You may feel like you're forcing it, and it will require lifting the top a little to make it happen. The plastic retainers have some cut-outs to allow for this. Once you do this and you unlatch the top and fold it the rest of the way back, I think you'll find that you can get the top all the way down.

Hope that made sense.

I didnt know john madden was a member of this forum?? hahaha...jk

def helps
Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default This picture says it all

Originally Posted by P8RE8

If you just flip back the top, the sailcloth folds will naturally fall along a line as indicated in RED (kinda sagging into the back seat and half-covering your rear passengers).

What you need to do, is "invert the folds" (YELLOW), and get the folds to lie as shown in the picture above. You may feel like you're forcing it, and it will require lifting the top a little to make it happen. The plastic retainers have some cut-outs to allow for this. Once you do this and you unlatch the top and fold it the rest of the way back, I think you'll find that you can get the top all the way down.

Hope that made sense.
I would have sworn that I knew what I was doing, but this picture can't make it any clearer. I having been riding around all this time looking like an idiot. I did it the "right" tonight, and it looks so much better now.

Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool All the way down...

Here's how mine looks all the way down (no boot installed)...

For a cleaner look, you can tuck the corners in on itself. I'm not sure if this might damage the top; but, I figured this is probably what you would need to do to install the boot anyhow.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

this helped me a lot... I knew I was doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: Help/Question Lowering Soft Top.