Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help - Rear seat latch down

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Rear seat latch down

So I took my rear bench seat out last week to re-install my carpet after enjoying my first summer of Line-X. Now with everything back together, the seat won't latch down to the rear mounts.

Only thing I can think of is the carpet height is keeping it from latching, but I can distinctively hear the metal clasp hitting the metal rod in the floor when I push down on the seat. Makes me think I might have to make a trip to the Stealership and have them look at it. Any brilliant ideas before I resort to their "expertise"
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but........

The rear latches won't hook/latch unless the seat back is folded up in it's normal or sitting position.

Push the seat bottom down and fold the back up and it should latch.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but........

The rear latches won't hook/latch unless the seat back is folded up in it's normal or sitting position.

Push the seat bottom down and fold the back up and it should latch.

That's not the issue at hand. I tried both methods of having the back locked back and also with it folded forward. Neither locks.

I did take a tissue and lie it under the seat then held the seat down and tried to pull the tissue out without ripping it (to find tight spots). I did find that the tissue tore when placed on the inner sides of the latch between 2 and 4 inches away from the locking mechanism. See the picture if that makes no sense....the red areas are where it is tearing. I'm kinda thinking Ill just have to trim the carpet now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepcarpetissues.jpg
Views:	4842
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	378678
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

No offense but is it possible that you have the seat placed wrong and it's not latching because the part on the seat that fits on the forward bar is on the wrong bar? I have had I think a similar problem and once I placed the seat correctly it latched with no problems.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
So I took my rear bench seat out last week to re-install my carpet after enjoying my first summer of Line-X. Now with everything back together, the seat won't latch down to the rear mounts.

Only thing I can think of is the carpet height is keeping it from latching, but I can distinctively hear the metal clasp hitting the metal rod in the floor when I push down on the seat. Makes me think I might have to make a trip to the Stealership and have them look at it. Any brilliant ideas before I resort to their "expertise"
Does it latch with out the carpet in? If so then the carpet is the problem.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem until I figured out that I had the seat front attach mechanism connected to the aft floor loop (there are two steel loops in the floor for the front attach point). Once I slid the seat all the way forward and attached it over the front floor loop, the back latched perfectly.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm betting (no money) it's not the carpet or alignment of the hooks/latches, but just a malfunction of the latching mechanism.
somethings stuck or maybe a broken spring, etc.

Disclaimer; I am not nor do I play one on TV, a JK rear seat expert.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

The way mine works is once you get the front hooks in place and able to lower the back of the bench down so the back hooks line up - then you push down and forward on it until it locks in place. Once it locks in place then you can fold the seat back back up. Took me a few times of randomly getting it to work before i realized what I did.

Just read Jim's post and I had that same issue too.

Good luck!

Last edited by hneiper; 10-16-2012 at 04:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BabygirlBriscoe (02-08-2021)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol, I'm thoroughly amused how there is ZERO assumptions made regarding the wisdom/common sense. I'm sure it's all in good nature, but I know how the seat installs. I'm fairly mechanically minded and it's really so easy a caveman could do it. For the time being I folded that center piece of carpet back (out from underneath the seat) and the seat latches perfectly. Pretty sure my new goal is to find out how to cut the carpet so it still looks ok and is functional with the seat.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
I'm betting (no money) it's not the carpet or alignment of the hooks/latches, but just a malfunction of the latching mechanism.
somethings stuck or maybe a broken spring, etc.

Disclaimer; I am not nor do I play one on TV, a JK rear seat expert.
lol, I'm thoroughly amused how there is ZERO assumptions made regarding the wisdom/common sense. I'm sure it's all in good nature, but I know how the seat installs. I'm fairly mechanically minded and it's really so easy a caveman could do it. For the time being I folded that center piece of carpet back (out from underneath the seat) and the seat latches perfectly. Pretty sure my new goal is to find out how to cut the carpet so it still looks ok and is functional with the seat.
I specifically said "I was not an expert"

Seriously, I try to never assume anyones mechanical ability by reading their posts. (read some of mine, even I sound smart sometimes )

Do you think the layer of bedliner is too thick and it's keeping the seat frame from sitting/laying down on top of the carpet low enough to latch?

My back seat is in the garage, I'll check some clearances when I get home this afternoon. I may not be able to help, but I'm trying.

Quick Reply: Help - Rear seat latch down