Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help with stock bumper

Old 09-13-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with stock bumper

Alright so last night i was at a football game and when i got back to my jeep i found that someone had backed into my front bumper pretty hard and left without giving their info or anything. So now i am left with a dented in bumper and was wondering how hard it would be to take the bumper off and try to push it back out. I Looked behind the plastic bumper and saw some sets of bolts and was wondering what all has to be done to take off the front bumper and put it back on. I have some pics and thanks for any help.

Last edited by cinciredsfan77; 09-13-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: bad urls
Old 09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Your pics aren't showing up. It says they've been moved or deleted.

You might check out these threads for some ideas:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/anyone-have-success-fixing-crushed-stock-front-bumper-27493/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/factory-bumper-removal-2714/
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

I can't see your pics, but, to remove the bumper with tow hooks, you do this....

There are 2 nuts on each side of the bumper, 4 total, (outer sides, outside of where the tow hooks are) that attatch the plastic part of the bumper to the metal bumper behind the plastic. Remove those. The plastic bumper piece will now be loose and move around, but will not come off yet because of the tow hooks.

Then, you will see 4 nuts on each side of the bumper (8 total), on the backside (behind the bumper) where the tow hooks are (near the frame rails). Remove those, and the entire bumper will come off.

You cannot get the plastic part of the bumper off if you have tow hooks without removing the metal bumper also. I tried it already, and there is no way you can lift the plastic part off of the tow hook. Also, if you have fog lights, be sure and unplug them at the light, behind the bumper. The light assembly comes off with the plastic bumper piece. It's not that hard to do, and only takes about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by wrnglrguy; 09-13-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Alright so here is a image shack link for you all. http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/3529/1041155iq2.jpg

So how much of a pain is this going to be for me to do? any thoughts on how long it will take and how hard it will be. and what are some tips. I really need to get it fixed tomorrow and i could use some advice. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Okay, pics are working now.

I think the dent will pop out but it looks like it will leave a crease on the left side of the dent. I don't know how much that would bother you...

You could probably tell your insurance company and they would pay for a new bumper, or even an aftermarket one since it would probably be cheaper. I don't know what that would do to your insurance rates though.

IMO you should use this as an opportunity to upgrade. You can get an aftermarket bumper shipped to your house for less than $400.

You could also look in the Freebies section of the forum for a new front bumper.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post bumper

Had the sme thing happen to mine. except lower on the bumper. I know who hit mine though and i know where she lives. I thougt I might try what you described. After removing my bumper i find there are two layers to that plastic. The front layer is dented so if ya take it off ya can't hit the plastic to bend it back. You might be able to warm that up with a heat gun like u use to heat shrink wrap and pop it out by pushing in on the outside of the dent. I heard that someone had a dent in there fender flare and the sun warmed it up enough to pop it back out???? Maybe if ya put a screw in it you can pull it out after heating the dent. You can always melt the plastic if ya leave the heat to it too long. That might be a good way to cover up the hole that screw is gonna leave in there. I mention the screw thing because sheet metal repairs sometimes involve a screw attachment on the end of a slide hammer. I have not tried this on mine yet cuz I got the person that dented mine to buy me a new WARN winch bumper. I changed it out. I figure I might try to pop that dent out one of these days after she forgets about paying $600 for that new WARN bumper. by the way do not forget to disconnect those fog lights when u drop that bumper!!! That plastic bumper is also bolted to a metal bumper that's gonna come off when u drop the plastic one.

Last edited by hawgrider1200; 09-13-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Alright here is an update. I used 2 hair blow dryers and kept rotating them back and forth for a constant flow. Then i starting working the bumper with my hand and a towel in a massaging type motion. I managed to get all the major dents to pop back out and now all i have is a small puncture and a small dent. I am not going to worry about those two things but i also have the very noticeable stretch discoloration marks. So is there and cures for this? anything that could maybe cover it up nicely. not trying to make it perfect but just a little less obvious and i will be happy. Thanks for any suggestions and here are some updated pictures.

Last edited by cinciredsfan77; 09-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use a paint stripper heat gun on the 1100 degree setting. DON'T hold it too close to the surface, WATCH the surface texture, when it starts looking the slightest bit SHINY back off. In fact, before you get it heated up all the way a lot of what you have left should come out. I believe when you get it heated up pretty good the color should revert back to a darker color...... GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

pefect excuse to get a new bumper, does look like u got the major dent out tho
Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bumper

I sure am glad u got that dent outa there. Looks lots better.

Quick Reply: Help with stock bumper