Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

help. VERY SCARY issue!! our jk tried to kill us!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help. VERY SCARY issue!! our jk tried to kill us!

on the way home from picking up my wife our 07 jk began to shake uncontrolably on the highway. i've had some crazy stuff happen in a vehicle before but that was wild! i baby this thing. no heavy offroading and i never beat on it.

i noticed a minor shimmy in the steering wheel about a week ago at around 55mph, but it goes away by 60. figured maybe i lost a wheel weight or something, the tires are new, the susp is a newer rcx 2.2 and all my balljoints/tierods look fine. we were cruising at 65mph and suddenly the whole front started shaking and the steering wheel almost jumped out of my hands. wasn't sure i'd be able to hold it for a sec while i slowed down. it felt like the whole front end was coming apart....violently.

i pulled over and looked around but i didn't see anything out of the ordinary. i drove it off the highway and it felt like nothing happened as we got off and while we were on the surface streets. steering felt fine. handling and braking were all good. no odd noises, squeaks, grinds, bangs or clunks

has anyone ever experienced something like this? i figure it could be a number of things. u-joint. 4wd drive not fully disengaged. bad caliper etc. any ideas? it kinda scared the crap out of us and there is no way i'll take it on the highway till i figure out what's wrong.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Search death wobble. Many stories, but only a few causes. Planman has an awesome guide on finding and fixing the cause. Start with the track bar bolt torque and and check for wallowed out holes. All my experience with DW has been track bar issues, but there are other causes.

Link to Planman's post:
http://https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/write-up-diagnosing-death-wobble-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-wobbles-260145/

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 03-21-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to the world of the Death Wobble. There are hundreds of posts/threads here on the subject. And a very good write-up by Planman on how to cure it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

damn! thank you. i shall read up and hopefully not become a stain on the highway. much appreciated

lol, my wife isn't liking the name. she said ''well, i guess there must be a reason it's not called the 'fluffy bunny' wobble''

Last edited by dentz; 03-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Northridge sells a kit to replace some of the bolts that are on your jeep the factory track bar bolt is actually undersized this kit has the right size. It's like $40-$50
Good luck
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Here ya go.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

"Really Scary Wobble" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

dyipney... thanx for the welcome. glad to be part of the club...we should get jackets!

thanx again for the info guys. i think just from scanning a couple posts it could be my rcx steering stabilizer. i think the left one is leaking. i'll read more and get to planman's post. that wasn't a fun feeling at that speed.....having a steer tire come apart on my fully loaded semi wasn't anywhere near as nerve racking as that was
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

It probably isn't your steering stabilizer. Death wobble is causing your stabilizer to fail, not the reverse. My jk ate two of them before I found the root cause.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Northridge sells a kit to replace some of the bolts that are on your jeep the factory track bar bolt is actually undersized this kit has the right size. It's like $40-$50
Good luck
This is a good idea and investment.

Quick Reply: help. VERY SCARY issue!! our jk tried to kill us!