Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Highway driving with doors off..

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this last weekend and doing 70+ down the highway for the first time was a lot differant, you can hear every little thing and watching the highway blow by you at 70+ with you almost able to fall out takes time to get used too. I kept putting my left foot on the door sill to make me feel safer. Our trip to the wheelin spot was 50 miles each way, was 55 degrees on the way up and an extra warm top is a good idea.

OH YAH, if when your wheeling and run across water, becarefull that you do not go any higher than about this.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my doors off all weekend and did some highway cruising. It was great! But as mentioned before, remove those rear floor mats. They'll start floating.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. T
doors came off this weekend for the summer. lovin it. best thing is driving on the highway with no doors or top, and covered in mud. the looks from other drivers is priceless...
X2 on that one pulled into a dodge/chrysler/jeep dealership like that yesterday to get an oil change, and 3 people who were looking at the cars ect came over to see mine, one of the new jeeps fully naked (doors off, top down, mud covered). Heard them comment how cool it looked, and asked how fun it was to drive around like that, then they walked over to see the new jeeps for sale. If they bought any, I want commission damnit
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
WOW! Crank The Heater??? I'm guessing yall haven't had the 100 degree and 100% humidity days yet like we've had here in TEXAS.
Yeah I was raised down there, people out here on the east coast don't realize even the air is blazing hot at 70 mph down there, doesn't cool you AT ALL...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

It was about 32C here the other day and I took them off but it's been raining hard so slapped em back on.

Can't wait to get the things back off, gotta find a place to store them though. The living room won't work forever.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

A dude in Canada makes wooden doors. Order some. put them on before You leave,then at the camp site take em off. I doubt they'll be stolen.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Anyone done this?

About to go camping, 40 miles away.

Debating on whether I should keep the doors on, remove them and store them at my campsite (??) or remove them here and drive the 40 miles without doors.

What have you guys done?
It sucks if it's 50deg. and it rains. found this out coming back from the house in Maine. But still fun.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Anyone done this?

About to go camping, 40 miles away.

Debating on whether I should keep the doors on, remove them and store them at my campsite (??) or remove them here and drive the 40 miles without doors.

What have you guys done?
last night around here it got down to 49 degrees on my way back from school. On the way out there it was about 59 degrees. The way there i had heat on high, blowing full blast at me and i was quite comfy. On the way back i had my jacket with the collar flipped up, gloves, one of those fleece ear covering bands, and a baseball cap and the hour ride wasn't that bad at all. It sure wasn't warm, but i can honestly say it wasn't cold either. never once did my teeth chatter etc. Just dress appropriately for the temp and you can really be quite comfy down to about 45 degrees.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
WOW! Crank The Heater??? I'm guessing yall haven't had the 100 degree and 100% humidity days yet like we've had here in TEXAS.
Death Valley, South Carolina gets that way. The worst would be right after a rain. No matter how fast you drive, the air doesn't cool down. It just hits you like a blast furnace.

You can tell when you get too acclimatized to hot. Last fall, I left town to see my wife, it was 103 on the temperature gauge, probably in the upper 90s. Once the sun went down, the temp dropped into the 70s. Top down interstate, I had to turn the heat on because I was so cold.

Quick Reply: Highway driving with doors off..