Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hot Oil Fix?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a ton of issues with the stealership about this. I got the alarm once, and it kept coming back, even on hot summer days and normal everyday driving. The stealership also told that they had never even heard about the hot oil warning in any other jeep but mine....BS.....
so I went with an aux cooler and was done with it.

Once I went with 5.38 gears, I tried the 4lo with the OD off and it was to tough on my jeep.
I very rarely use 4lo now, except when rock crawling.
Just go with the aux cooler. A cooler transmission is a happier one.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 915RUBICON
... Once I went with 5.38 gears, I tried the 4lo with the OD off and it was to tough on my jeep...
How was it tough on your Jeep?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegasoutlaw
Ummm dont really want to run around on trails all the time in 4low- Oil shouldnt be getting hot
why not? I'm usually in 4lo most of the day sunrise to past dark on the trails

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Why not?
4lo actually reduces automatic transmission temps.

An aux cooler is the best route to go, though.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002

How was it tough on your Jeep?
It was tough on my jeep, because on normal trails and running sand dunes, it goes through the shifts a hell of a lot quicker, it runs through the RPMs range way to quick.
Before you know it your in third or fourth and have no power to get through or over what ever your doing.

In 4HI you can keep it in somewhat the normal range, and in 2nd gear to keep from shifting into third and the RPMs up but not to high.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 915RUBICON
It was tough on my jeep, because on normal trails and running sand dunes, it goes through the shifts a hell of a lot quicker, it runs through the RPMs range way to quick.
Before you know it your in third or fourth and have no power to get through or over what ever your doing.

In 4HI you can keep it in somewhat the normal range, and in 2nd gear to keep from shifting into third and the RPMs up but not to high.
I understand what you are talking about.

If you have an auto tranny, try using your first and second gear and sometimes that will keep your control better while in 4lo, but when u are in 1st or 2nd, keep in mind that when u rev up u have to stay mindfull of your rpm

if i have a steep incline, i will be in 4lo and drop the auto tranny down to 1st gear and most of the time never rev over 1700 rpm and if its a long and steep sometimes ill shift the auto into 2nd and just keep on going then once at top shifft back into the "D" and never touching the overdrive

Last edited by captjay; 02-03-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry completely hi jacked tread...

Yeah I watch the RPMs (and TRANS TEMP) it's just the trails are usually faster, like arroyos and sand dunes so running in 4 hi in first or second is better for me almost treating it like a standard tranny.

Quick Reply: Hot Oil Fix?