Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much do you trust your locking.....

Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you forget that your center console is locked and attempt to open it in the usual manor you will find it still opens with only slightly more force. The plastic is very flexable. Putting a lock on it is basicly a joke. Don't trust the lock to protect anything. The glove box might be slightly harder to open but is no match for a determined thief, or curious girlfriend.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
but is no match for a ....... or curious girlfriend.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shon
When I get mine fixed it'll be unlocked and the only thing that will be in there will be a chained up cheap camera, an air-horn (I'll wire up a switch to the latch) and a business card with a website where the sob can find the picture of his sorry ass in shock and exactly what I think of him.
that's a lot of work. just get a rattle snake.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by degenerate
that's a lot of work. just get a rattle snake.
Yikes!!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default goods

I have a TJ; I never lock it... why bother? you can unzip the windows...

but no one would, they would take a knife to my $$ top... i'd rather have them open the door and set off the alarm

I don't keep anything of value in the car, only my SIRIUS sportster... locked in the glove box...

also $100 comprehensive deductable covers anything but stolen CDs...
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
If you forget that your center console is locked and attempt to open it in the usual manor you will find it still opens with only slightly more force. The plastic is very flexable. Putting a lock on it is basicly a joke. Don't trust the lock to protect anything. The glove box might be slightly harder to open but is no match for a determined thief, or curious girlfriend.
Nothing is a match for a determined thief. And nowhere outside is safe for any vehicle. I've had two cars stolen in my lifetime. One in New York City and one from my driveway. I've had my car riffeled through in good neighborhoods and bad. All of the times they were locked.

So the best thing to do is not keep anything that you would miss in your Jeep.

I copied all of my CD's onto CDR's . If somebody gets them, big deal, so I'm out about 20 bucks. That's the most expensive stuff that I have in my Jeep.

One thing. A few years ago I read about a company that made a very innovative security device. As you guys know, when a car alarm goes off hardly anybody even looks up. This device triggered the release of harmless, oderless smoke canister in the passenger compartment. When this occurs, two things happen. The thief can't see to steal from or drive the car. And everybody and their brother starts looking at the column of smoke pouring from the car. A real attention getter.

I'd like to find out if this thing is still around?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by berg
Nothing is a match for a determined thief. And nowhere outside is safe for any vehicle. I've had two cars stolen in my lifetime. One in New York City and one from my driveway. I've had my car riffeled through in good neighborhoods and bad. All of the times they were locked.

So the best thing to do is not keep anything that you would miss in your Jeep.

I copied all of my CD's onto CDR's . If somebody gets them, big deal, so I'm out about 20 bucks. That's the most expensive stuff that I have in my Jeep.

One thing. A few years ago I read about a company that made a very innovative security device. As you guys know, when a car alarm goes off hardly anybody even looks up. This device triggered the release of harmless, oderless smoke canister in the passenger compartment. When this occurs, two things happen. The thief can't see to steal from or drive the car. And everybody and their brother starts looking at the column of smoke pouring from the car. A real attention getter.

I'd like to find out if this thing is still around?

Probably not. Some theif probably sued the company for smoke inhalation and is now stealing cars in the Bahamas.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MossMan
console and glove box. Do you feel like it's pretty secure. Would you leave any semi-valuables in it?
Even with the hardtop, there is nothing secure in a JK. Open the hood. No alarm goes off. Clip the battery lead. A minute to get the vehicle on a flatbed and your off. Need to break a window-- put a pillow over it and it is very quiet when you use a spring loaded carbide tip.

Leave the glove box and console open when parked in bad places, like the cash register drawer-- No Money Here!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

it does depend on the area you are in... but... theives are mobile and can hit you anywhere... i typically dont keep anything locked up or of value in the jeep... my aftermarket XM unit sits on the dash... if you unplug two wires on the unit, it will quickly detach and fit in your pocket. Its always on the dash... with or without doors and i have not had it stolen yet... its only worth about 20 bucks...

another note... i have strayed from the uber thief resistant lockable storage b/c it stand out as the giant metal box with a keyed lock. In my mind, those boxes SCREAM... "There is something valuable in there"
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by MossMan
console and glove box. Do you feel like it's pretty secure. Would you leave any semi-valuables in it?
The factory console and glovebox are really not very secure which is the reason that Tuffy makes some heavy-duty lockable steel storage compartments for Jeeps. It is definitely nice to not have to take everything out of the Jeep or stress about everything disappearing whenever you leave it unattended. Here are a couple of links to some products currently available for the JK Wrangler. A full replacement console and steel locking glove box are also on the drawing board.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/140.html

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/143.html

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/jk/139.html

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/overhead/142.html

Jeff Fox
Tuffy Security Products
800-348-8339
www.tuffyproducts.com

Quick Reply: How much do you trust your locking.....