Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to remove ESID

Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove ESID

I'm getting the dreaded GASCAP message on my dash. I replaced the gas cap with a new one but that didn't fix it. I can't see any visible leaks in the system, so I want to try replacing the ESID, which is the little white box attached to the evap canister, as suggested in another thread here. Other thread says this is a $10 part and easy to replace, so I figure it's worth a shot. But I can't figure out how to get it off of there... I don't want to break the canister trying to pry it off, I know there must be a trick to it. Does it twist off? It has some sort of locking tab, but I can't see under there well enough to see what it does. I've tried twisting, pulling, prying, etc - I don't want to apply too much pressure and break it off, since it's all plastic, so it would be helpful to know how it's supposed to come off. Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I can't figure it out.

Any help?

Last edited by undertow119; 11-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC you push the tab and turn the ESID until the lugs line up and it pulls straight out.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undertow119
I'm getting the dreaded GASCAP message on my dash. I replaced the gas cap with a new one but that didn't fix it. I can't see any visible leaks in the system, so I want to try replacing the ESID, which is the little white box attached to the evap canister, as suggested in another thread here. Other thread says this is a $10 part and easy to replace, so I figure it's worth a shot. But I can't figure out how to get it off of there... I don't want to break the canister trying to pry it off, I know there must be a trick to it. Does it twist off? It has some sort of locking tab, but I can't see under there well enough to see what it does. I've tried twisting, pulling, prying, etc - I don't want to apply too much pressure and break it off, since it's all plastic, so it would be helpful to know how it's supposed to come off. Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I can't figure it out.

Any help?

Any luck?? Any codes you had?

Quick Reply: How to remove ESID