Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to replace a throw-out bearing and clutch?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace a throw-out bearing and clutch?

I pretty sure that my throw-out bearing is just about shot and I need some advice as far as how to get off the drive shafts, t-case and tranny to get to it as well as anything I need to know about actually replacing it and the clutch. I’ve worked on vehicles since I was a little kid and now work on aircraft so I know I can handle it; I’ve just never done it before. I’ve also got full access to a shop with a lift and all the tools I need so that shouldn’t be an issue.

While I’m at it I’m going to put it one of those fancy new Centerforce Dual Friction clutches that many on here have been asking about. I’ll be sure to post up my reviews and pics in a couple weeks when I get it all done. Thanks in advance! - KY
Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't help, but I'm wondering where Niceville is? I'm a pilot and fly out of Lantana... just wondering if you're doing the work at a hangar somewhere.
I have had my clutch replaced due to the squeek, and it came right back in 4k miles. I'm interested to follow your repair, and hear your feedback on the centerforce. I'm not gonna goof with the OEM cluth plates anymore.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08Rubicon
While I’m at it I’m going to put it one of those fancy new Centerforce Dual Friction clutches that many on here have been asking about. I’ll be sure to post up my reviews and pics in a couple weeks when I get it all done. Thanks in advance! - KY
Would be very interested in the pics and review
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rlabbott
I can't help, but I'm wondering where Niceville is? I'm a pilot and fly out of Lantana... just wondering if you're doing the work at a hangar somewhere.
I have had my clutch replaced due to the squeek, and it came right back in 4k miles. I'm interested to follow your repair, and hear your feedback on the centerforce. I'm not gonna goof with the OEM cluth plates anymore.
Niceville is in NW FL in the panhandle. I'm in the Air Force and on base they have a shop where we can go and rent a lift and all the tools we need for about $4 and hour. - KY
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

When i was stationed at norfolk va i did a clutch on my cj7 in one of those places ... The hardest part was removing the lever so i could drop the tranny ..
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

i've actually never installed a clutch while the motor was in. but what i have been told, unbolt the transmission from the motor, and slide tranny backwards so its out of the way. i'd assume u could just unbolt the driveshaft from either the tcase or the rear axle, once it is all moved back you should be able to get into where the clutch is mounted. unbolt the clutch from the flywheel, when the clutch is removed you can get to the throwout bearing. i use a grease gun, with the end of the gun pressed into the center of the bearing, press the grease into the bearing, and in theory it should pop out, if it doesn't fill the void with grease and apply the alignment tool into the void, and it should pop out, just repeat until it works, or starting getting creative when u get bored, some times this is a SOB. install the new bearing, i usualy use a 2x4 or something similar with a rubber mallet to get the bearing in. then place the clutch on the fly wheel. insert the alignment tool into the center of the clutch, tighten the bolts from side to side (not in a circle), check the tourque specs and tighten accordingly. the alignment tool should be able to move freely once the clutch is instaled. then put it all back together!

i've done a few clutchs from yota's to racecars in the past, but all these motors were removed from the vehicle. hopefully this will help you out.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

another thing you could also do is PM Wayalife about how to do this. i'm sure he has done it, or knows someone who has. he is always willing to help ppl out

he could give some advise or point you in the right direction at least
Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Should I take the tranny and t-case out as one assembly or two? How do I actually get the stock drive shafts out? - KY
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08Rubicon
Should I take the tranny and t-case out as one assembly or two? How do I actually get the stock drive shafts out? - KY
ok i am a ase certified tech and spent many years at a chrysler dealer. pulled many a trans. not to hard and not to easy. mechanical knoledge will help. but...
start by takin neg. batt cable off. take front and rear driveshafts off and mark them so as to reinstall in same "timing". if u dont u could get drveline vibration. then remove starter and flywheel dust cover( 6bolts i think). then you need to support the trans and tcase so u can take off skid plate. then take the nuts off that bolt tcase to trans rear. take tcase linkage and any wires off and grasp with your hands and carefuly put on ground. its not to heavy but not light. now u can move onto trans. support trans and remove clutch slave cylender on side. unbolt trans housing bolts and after there all out the trans on your trans jack should slide twards rear. take off bolts that hold clutch to flywheel. flywheel should be resurfaced or idel way is now one. the throw out bearing is on trans output shaft ( inside bell housing). make sure u repl the pilot bearing which is the little one in the center of the flywheel. and make sure u use the clutch alignment tool that comes with clutch. put it in center and install clutch and tighten all bolts in criss cross pattern... like doing a wheel. once tight REMOVE alignment tool and start reassembling. good luck hope this helps. if u take your time and pay attention as u disassemble u should have no problems. take pics as u go for ref. hope i helped ya!

Quick Reply: How to replace a throw-out bearing and clutch?