Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...

Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks TIN
Old 09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why i always have the dealer do the first oil change on a new vehicle, then when i do the next one i try and see if a can the filterany if i cant i make trip to the dealer, have gotten a few free oil changes that way, and they dont make to tight after that
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used a monkey wrench to get the filter off -- if that failed, the screwdriver was next! I also had the unexpected jet of oil, but plastic on the driveway saved me from buying 50 lbs of kitty litter (side note: I've got a whopping 30 hrs in 130s ).
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi Master

weird my wife didnt have problems changing the oil...
Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

This thread hits me funny because yesterday, for the first time in over 10 years at least, I decided to change my own oil. I went and got one of them new-fangled catch pans that's really a bucket on it's side, crawled under there and lined it up about perfect under the bolt in the oil pan and started wrenching.

And just like the OP, I had oil shooting at least a foot beyond my catch pan/bucket/pos, so there I was trying to move it back and forth to catch the oil..
I must have lost 2 quarts into the driveway.

----------------
Now playing: The Sisters Of Mercy - Afterhours
via FoxyTunes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There has been other threads on this topic before...and I must have a good JK or something because I have no issues changing my oil. Easy as pie - no mess, no fuss, no problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I am just glad that I dont look like a fool. There are about a dozen people on here with the same problem.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 09-03-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't do vehicle oil changes anymore. Stopped after the F350 diesel and a few bike crashes that make some movements difficult.
Still do the boat Cat though @ 10 gallons but I fit in the engine room.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you sure your name has not been changed to:

SLICK

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

I worked for Grease Monkey, Minute Lube, and Econo Lube n Tune for a number of years, mostly in "the pit". I would say that 75% of all factory oil filters were installed with no lube/oil on the gasket, making us break out the wrench. With factory or even dealer filters, it was always assumed that it was going to need a wrench, and sometimes the pliers. The MR2 and 300ZX were lengendary and the cause of MANY burn scars on the arms of techs, mainly due to the filter being surrounded by the header and exhaust in a tight space.

As far as keeping the drain flow from hitting the back bumper and how we did it, try this:

1. Remove oil fill cap
2. Crack the oil filter. Don't take it off all the way, just crack it off a thread or two.
3. Pop the drain plug and let it drain all the way. With the two steps above performed, the flow will be singnificantly less.
4. Check the drain plug gasket, make sure it's still in good shape.
5. Install the drain plug, not tight enough to break and/or crack the gasket
6. Remove the oil filter all the way. If you unscrew it slowly instead of spinning it off, it reduces oil splashing everywhere. make sure the gasket came all the way off
7. Take some clean oil, lube the gasket on the new filter.
8. Screw it on hand tight. Doesn't sound like much, but that's all that's needed. No warranty claims were ever made on a car with a hand tight filter.
9. Filler up, start the car, check for leaks while running.

Last edited by Ivanko; 09-04-2008 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...