Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter mess

I reach my filter from the top. I first put some cardboard, a cereal box cut open works well, under the filter and on top of the front axel. I angle the cardbord towards the back and position the oil drain pan under the low side of the cardboard.

The oil spilling from the filter will be caught by the cardbord and most of it will drain into the catch pan.

Then again, I don't have quite the same rust preventative that some of you guys have either.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too had a heck of a time getting the first filter off but no streaming or gushing oil, when I took the drain pulg out of the pan it was just a perfect flow that went right into the catch pan. I changed mine again today and the filter was again perfect, when I reached the drain plug that was a different story.. I have a skid pan on and the oil was as some have said was strong enough to push the vehicle. I have never seen oil gush out of a drain hole like that and as with others I was cleaning up about 2 quarts of oil, luckily I have my garage floor covered with epoxy.
Does anyone have any idea how the "Gush" from the pan be stopped or at least redirected?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

was the filter on or off?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Off both times, I always have taken the filter off first. I have found a valve that takes the place of the drain plug and I am trying to find one locally.

Quick Reply: I am 28 and have been changing oil since I was 16...