Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I Purchased a 3 piece hardtop for my 07 JK X, I have a problem

Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I Purchased a 3 piece hardtop for my 07 JK X, I have a problem

I have an 07 JK X Unlimited, I purchased an 09 JK three piece hardtop and have a problem..Everything lines up and fits except one thing, The center lever to lock down the two ft lift out sections is where the problem is..The 09 U Windshield frame fastener is left by 1 and 1/2 inches of the 07 Position. I have not pulled down the trim to check if it is bolted down or welded..Before I do, can someone answer if they know? I have tried to check the web but not having any luck..I may just pull the trim down tomorrow and see, if no one can help me here..All else fits great and both windshield lock down with no problem..I don't think it will be a problem, but I am not ready to take it out in the rain...Thanks for any information you can supply..
Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,608 Posts

It's bolted in just like the driver's side and passenger side that you have visible. The problem is more that the threads inside the frame are part of a nut. You can easily drill two holes and move it over, cept not certain what others have used to secure it since there will be no threads in the new location. Many have done this before....just can't recall what they do to secure it or about the threads.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's bolted in just like the driver's side and passenger side that you have visible. The problem is more that the threads inside the frame are part of a nut. You can easily drill two holes and move it over, cept not certain what others have used to secure it since there will be no threads in the new location. Many have done this before....just can't recall what they do to secure it or about the threads.
Thanks for your response! I believe I can just undo the right side and flip it leaving the left side bolted..That may give me enough meat to hold it down..I just need as you describe, a way to lock down the right bolt..
Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I wouldn't worry about driving with it like that at all. You might just test with a water hose to verify you have no leak at all. I've driven with mine not clipped there due to leaving a spider web shade or similar still attached to the center loop and had zero leaking issues at all, but leaks seem to be hit and miss in general from jeep to jeep.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Dinky Dau (07-20-2019), LC Boyer (07-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I wouldn't worry about driving with it like that at all. You might just test with a water hose to verify you have no leak at all. I've driven with mine not clipped there due to leaving a spider web shade or similar still attached to the center loop and had zero leaking issues at all, but leaks seem to be hit and miss in general from jeep to jeep.
Well I am whip

ped I seasoned in a Griddle and these are the pic's of the inside and outside of the Hardtop. Hope she dosn't leak taking her to the dealer for the recall Tuesday. Thanks for the input!!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I took it to the dealer and one of the two recalls were done. I also asked about the top issue about the u fastener. I was informed that it has been enough of an issue that Chrysler has a fix. now they make a wider fastener to address the problem..Killer part is they say it would be $215 parts and labor...I think I'll pass but I forgot to ask how much just the part is..I need to call them back and find out.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I could be wrong but I think I've seen folks just unbolt it, move it to the right spot, drill it in, and go from there. I'd want the proper trim to go with it but I'm a little particular. I'd bet you could get that loop, footman loop?, from eBay or something and paint it yourself for much cheaper.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I could be wrong but I think I've seen folks just unbolt it, move it to the right spot, drill it in, and go from there. I'd want the proper trim to go with it but I'm a little particular. I'd bet you could get that loop, footman loop?, from eBay or something and paint it yourself for much cheaper.
Thanks for the response I just found the relocation part # for the footman loop kit for 07-08's going with a newer hard top..Part # is 82212462 it comes with the new trim, footman loop and two rivets. Dodge wants $105 and many aftermarket sites sell them for 39-34 bucks..Hope this helps others so they don't have to search, many are also saying that not relocating it has not caused any water leaks either.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinky Dau
Well I am whip

ped I seasoned in a Griddle and these are the pic's of the inside and outside of the Hardtop. Hope she dosn't leak taking her to the dealer for the recall Tuesday. Thanks for the input!!
Hey, I like that Spare tire cover!
The following users liked this post:
Dinky Dau (07-26-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinky Dau
Thanks for your response! I believe I can just undo the right side and flip it leaving the left side bolted..That may give me enough meat to hold it down..I just need as you describe, a way to lock down the right bolt..
This will work.
Flip it over towards the drives side and rivet/bolt it back together.
Mopar sells a kit that includes the trim.

hard top adapter

Quick Reply: I Purchased a 3 piece hardtop for my 07 JK X, I have a problem