Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Incurable Death Wobble - FML

Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Incurable Death Wobble - FML

Everyone knows about the insane death wobble - mine started about 4-5 months ago. I've replaced steering stabilizer, tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints, and wheel bearings and I still have the terrible death wobble. It isn't as consistent as before but I can feel it building up to that shake & it does still randomly do it.

I've read that other possibilities are upper and lower arm controls, the tie rod itself and/or my tires (which I doubt, they'll still in good condition) I've went to 3 mechanics and no one seems to have any idea. Any idea what else could be causing this? I'm ready to call it quits for my sanity at this point.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

It is probably unevenly worn tires. Good tread doesn't mean good condition. We had someone with almost new KM2s and tried everything. Finally pumped up the tire pressure to 38 psi and it went away forever.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

One issue I see with your statement is this.....just cuz you replaced something, does not mean that it's still good. If you are STILL wobbling, every time you wobble it's causing stress on the components, which can itself cause additional failures. The best thing you can do IMO is go back through the whole inspection procedure (Planman's vid's on youtube if need be), and inspect every component for wear. Check every bolt for proper torque, and inspect the frame side track bar bracket hole for wallowing. There is a chance that tires or being out of balance is triggering the wobble (you said you can feel it building), but there is a weak link in the system that is the true cause IMO.

It’s so hard to find a good shop that can accurately locate and fix your DW issues. Dealers are worthless, and shops typically don’t care or want to invest their time in something that isn’t very profitable for them. Every now and then you can find some good help, but typically you the owner are the best source of information and remedy when it comes to DW.

I would start with the BJs, and particularly close attention to the TB joints, bolts, and brackets as those are the most common causes.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by doyle_09
Everyone knows about the insane death wobble - mine started about 4-5 months ago. I've replaced steering stabilizer, tie rod ends, track bar, ball joints, and wheel bearings and I still have the terrible death wobble. It isn't as consistent as before but I can feel it building up to that shake & it does still randomly do it.

I've read that other possibilities are upper and lower arm controls, the tie rod itself and/or my tires (which I doubt, they'll still in good condition) I've went to 3 mechanics and no one seems to have any idea. Any idea what else could be causing this? I'm ready to call it quits for my sanity at this point.
I thought I had death wobble, which came in at about 45mph. As soon as I slowed to less than 40mph it went away. Turned out to be a front tire that went bad internally.

Typically, true death wobble won't go away until the vehicle is brought almost to a stop.

At what speeds does your wobble come in and go out?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be a bent rim, do you do a lot of curb checks? Lol
Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Did you find the culprit yet? I'm having the SAME with my 2007 JK.. I swapped Draglink, tie rod and ends, swapped out the Trackbar bolts to larger ones, installed new steering stabilizer.. and replaced both upper & lower ball joints both sides. I thought I had defeated it as the problem went away for 3 months but has now returned again...
Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Bro if you have replaced all that, check your tire and rim you may have an unbalanced tire, it's not uncommon to have a bad balance or to have knocked it out if you do any off roading or do a lot of curb checks. Also if your tires are used there could be some substance inside of it causing the warrble. Annnn sometimes the tire shop just messes up the balancing. Also rotate,Rotate,ROTATE your tires, all 5
The following users liked this post:
mlfever (08-23-2020)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

If you have steal rims and do go off road, here's something to consider, a dent in the center could be causing your wobble
https://youtu.be/lWM3o2v46KI

Last edited by ZombieJeep09JK; 04-20-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had DW from a bad control arm bushing
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

I've recently lifted my 2012 JKU up 3.5" and put 315/75r17 Cooper ATP'S on it. At first I had crazy DW so I checked a the drag link and tierod ends. They seemed to be ok but went on and replaced them anyway with the Teraflex HD kit and ordered a new steering stabilizer also. Installed the parts and the DW went away. Also double checked all my bolts prior and they were all tight. I had dropped my tire pressure down to 26psi from 35 which is what they had in them when they mounted them. I had been running them at 30psi until this past Sundayi went down to 28 to try and get a better ride. Haven't had DW for almost 5 months until Monday morning going to work. I go the same way every day. I'm almost certain it has something to do with tire pressure. I'm going to air them up to 35 in the morning and see what happens. I'll post the results if I can remember.

Quick Reply: Incurable Death Wobble - FML