Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Insurance payout for mods?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently in an accident where I backed into a treeand the rear bumper was damaged . Does anybody know if you have to replace the bumper with an own one or if the insurance money can be used for a non oem bumper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2582293719.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	471693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1629232247.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	471984  

Last edited by MA_Jeep; 06-26-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

The insurance will pay you the replacement value of what you have at the time of the accident. You can then use that money to make the repairs you want including using a different bumper if you choose.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2.

Insurance will pay for what is on at time of accident. Your body shop should repair you'r jeep and allow you to upgrade the bumper for the price difference. They probably wont charge for install labor either on the new bumper.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firelyle
The insurance will pay you the replacement value of what you have at the time of the accident. You can then use that money to make the repairs you want including using a different bumper if you choose.
Okay thanks now to start the search for a rear bumper
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Ouch. The bumper is the least of your worries

Get some rear corner guards as well as fix your tub.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

My insurance only pays for stock replacement unless they are notified of add ons and i think this is pretty standard. Of course they are always willing to just give you the money and you can do with it as you please which in the case of a stock bumper and the associated cost you are probably going to make out better that way anyways.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MA_Jeep
I was recently in an accident where I backed into a treeand the rear bumper was damaged . Does anybody know if you have to replace the bumper with an own one or if the insurance money can be used for a non oem bumper
When you get it fixed up leave the tail light guards off. All they do is transfer the impact to the body panel causing more damage. Judging by how far your bumper is pushed in I bet all you would have had was a cracked tail light and no body damage.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy

When you get it fixed up leave the tail light guards off. All they do is transfer the impact to the body panel causing more damage. Judging by how far your bumper is pushed in I bet all you would have had was a cracked tail light and no body damage.
If u look the bumper was pushed in then popped out some. His tail light guard was not the cause of all that body damage.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skippyrock
If u look the bumper was pushed in then popped out some. His tail light guard was not the cause of all that body damage.
If you say so. Ive seen it happen to my buddies jeep. He also backed into a tree on the trail and barely touched it with his tail light guards. It crinkled the whole corner. They are worthless in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Have them cut you a check for the price of the rear bumper and then go apply the money to any bumper you want to.

-Disclaimer-
Been there, done that, and I've got the tshirt.

Sent from my DROID4

Quick Reply: Insurance payout for mods?