Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent buzz in center console / dash area

Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent buzz in center console / dash area

I'm getting a metallic buzzing from somewhere either by the shift lever (automatic) or from behind the dash. The buzz is high pitched, similar to a large bee. It's definitely a sympathetic vibration as it matches the engine revving through some gears. At first, I thought it might be a washer vibrating on a loose screw. Then possibly a loose body clip that holds in the center console panel. Then I found the thread about another noise in the area that suggested wrapping the heater pipes next to the glove box with PVC pipe.

I've taken the center console cover off the shift levers, and it seemed to stop buzzing when I did. But that was only for a short drive, so I couldn't say it was conclusive.

Any thoughts or experience with this is helpful.
Thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious. If you touch the different plastic caps and pieces on the shift lever and center console to the noise go away? I found my annoying rattle was the little plastic cap under my shifting lever. Another thought, maybe press down on each motor mount to see if the noise goes away. Since it is sympathetic vibration it sounds like it something loose. I don't know but just throwing something out there since there are no other replies.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found pressing in the plastic on the passenger side of the shifter housing stopped the sound. So that made me think it was one of the locking tabs on the underside of the housing cover. I took the cover off and drove around the block and had no more noise. I replaced the cover and the sound was gone for a little while. Now it's back and louder than before. But it's intermittent. Two days ago it was loud. Yesterday I didn't hear a thing.

Quick Reply: Intermittent buzz in center console / dash area