Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent P0018

Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermittent P0018

A week or so ago I had an intermittent P0018 code for crank position sensor bank 2- started after an oil change and during super cold temps. it hasn't been back and cleared itself. Is there anyone who has Had this code/issue? 2014 JKU about 80K miles
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

This was gone for about 3 months and just popped back up. Anyone else deal with this code? I replaced cam sensor on that side with no result -
Old 09-08-2019, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

If the code is for the crank sensor, why did you replace the cam sensor and not the crank sensor?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I read up on it it stated it being an issue with both sensors reading right. Cam sensor is the simplest one to pull so I started there. It's been on and off for the last 7k miles. This last stint was 3 days on. Cleared itself this morning. May throw a crank sensor in soon also if it comes back. Dealership said bring it by when the light is on to see what's actually happening.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I replaced the crank sensor in my 2012. It was simple. I did it on my lunch break at work. Took about 5 minutes. I think the part was around $50-$75 but can't remember exactly.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Just replace both. Easy to do and then it's crossed off the list of possible problems.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both can and crank sensor have been replaced. Code still coming on and when I took it to the dealer with the light on they said there was no stored code. Also getting an occasional rough idle when coming to a stop right after startup. Only really happens on first acceleration/deceleration and then isn't there anymore. Currently waiting on code to be stored to bring back so the dealer can't say it's not there
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I had this code but not the CPS. It was just the CAT code bank 2. It rough idle for a second at a stop light. Code came on. Cleared it in January. Has not returned. It's annoying when a code doesn't get stored but you can always use a code reader or take a video of it and that should be good enough for the dealer anyway.

I'd clear it and see if the CPS portion of it goes away and if its only CAT bank 2. If it;s just that its only an emission issue and it wont leave you stuck so you have plenty of time. Hopefully someone knows more since I might be in the same boat any day or month or year. I have 170k on mine.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had some rough idle occasionally - throttle up a hill then come to a stop on a level and it almost stalls occasionally - part of me thinks is unrelated though- I did a trans (auto) service and feel like I could probably use another 1/2 qt and maybe that issue is a torque converter shudder

I did run through and check connectors today and noticed the big one on the top of the engine passenger side was not fully engaged/locked - I think when I re did my oil cooler that was disconnected and never re locked all the way, the 0018 code seems more frequent on wet days so I'm wondering if moisture was just getting in that loose connection and causing issue until it dries out ??♂

I'll keep updating if it comes back was on for 15 miles last time (during/after rain)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just took it back in- first thing they want me to do is change the oil, if the code comes back I'm to bring it back with the active code for the next diagnostic test

Quick Reply: Intermittent P0018