Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent P0018

Old 10-27-2019, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

well changing the oil isnt going to help you with this issue but it certainly couldn't hurt anything.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I have not had this issue but the code is similar across many cars. You replaced both sensors so you know that is OK. This all started with the oil change. It is possible you have the wrong viscosity oil or maybe even the wrong oil filter? See below. Let us know how you progress.

What causes the P0018 code?

• The bank 2 intake camshaft is out of position compared to the crankshaft position.
  • The bank 2 camshaft phaser is stuck in one position or will not move.
  • The phaser is not getting oil because the oil viscosity being used in the engine is too thick.
  • The Oil Control Valve (OCV) is stuck closed or open mechanically.

What are the symptoms of the P0018 code?

• The Check Engine Light comes on.
  • The engine may have a normal idle, but a reduction in power on acceleration.
  • The engine may run erratically, stall, hesitate or run rough.
  • Fuel mileage may decrease and other driveability problems may occur.
Note: Erratic drive complaints can happen depending on the failure and how long the vehicle is driven with the problems.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's due for a change- last was 5w30 which the owners manual says is ok- this time around I'll throw 5w20 in it and if that doesn't fix it I'll bring it back in for the next step-
I've had some trouble finding penzoil 5w20 and seen 0w20 "approved for use in 5w20 applications" but not sure about going thinner
Old 10-28-2019, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

This is the same engine as my wife's Grand Cherokee. I get the oil on-line at Amazon and always get synthetic. It is a little cheaper on-line and I can always find it. (I try to by as much a spossibel from my local stores to support them but I save too much this way.). I don't know for sure if the quantity is the same but on her 3.6 it takes 6 qts of oil. If you used 0w30 that would imply the oil is actually thinner at startup and the same at operating temps. These oil filters are not difficult (I love them). I did have the oil filter bypass valve break one time when replacing the oil filter. I was able to find a new one but if I had not noticed I am not sure what would happen (not good for sure). This could be an issue so you may want to make sure it looks Ok and there is no debris anywhere. There are several you-tubes that show this. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2019, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

2014 they changed the filter housing to eliminate that part and standardize filters across all pentagram 3.2/3.6 motors so definitely not that. I've got 5w20 penzoil and mopar filter inbound. Dealer reset light and it was off for almost 600 miles including a weekend of bouncing around the back roads of VT . Hopped in after work and it popped back on at the end of our parking lot ???♂. I'll change the oil Friday and see if the code clears itself after that. If it stays on for a few days I'll bring it back to the dealer for the next step.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected if the oil change solves this issue so I'm subscribed. Let us know how it goes and what weight you end up with. When you did cam and cps did you go with both Mopar? I've read that it could matter so when I did both of mine I did the mopar from rock auto.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did both mopar from the dealership when I swapped them- oil en-route is penzoil platinum 5w20 and mopar filter. Don't want to give the dealership any reason to turn down a warranty thing if it ends up being a more serious internal head issue. The code occasionally is paired with a p0300 P/D code that doesn't store and a bit of a rough idle occasionally coming to a stop. I have a buddy with a 14 that had all the cam followers replaced and he was having similar issues and so far we have been on pace with our failures/mileage (oil cooler, t-stat housing, end links etc...)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
I did both mopar from the dealership when I swapped them- oil en-route is penzoil platinum 5w20 and mopar filter. Don't want to give the dealership any reason to turn down a warranty thing if it ends up being a more serious internal head issue. The code occasionally is paired with a p0300 P/D code that doesn't store and a bit of a rough idle occasionally coming to a stop. I have a buddy with a 14 that had all the cam followers replaced and he was having similar issues and so far we have been on pace with our failures/mileage (oil cooler, t-stat housing, end links etc...)
Im on my lifetime powertrain warranty so I hear you loud and clear with keeping things mopar so they cant try and void it. I would highly recommend saving your receipts to prove oil type and filter type. I've seen them "mark" Jeeps for a voided warrty because of this. Save all your paperwork and maybe even take a few pics or video that way you have the time and date stamp when the components were changed.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Best part of buying oil off amazon - dated receipts paired with my google sheets maintenance log I should be covered
Old 03-03-2020, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update- was off for awhile finally got through CT emissions and......it's back. Reading as 2 codes P0018 P/D and P0018 on my little basic reader. Super frustrating that it doesn't store the code which makes diagnosis difficult. Might throw a cam phaser solenoid in it to rule that out.

We've got a 2012 Town and country with the same engine I could swap wirh as a test but that's got its own set of codes one of which is the p06DE oil pressure stuck high and P0128- which I have experience with on the JK -replacing tstat fixed that one. I'd hate to screw up the mostly functional family hauler

Quick Reply: Intermittent P0018