Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Intermittent P0740 TCC out of range

Old 02-26-2023, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent P0740 TCC out of range

What would be possible causes? Google searches have been far and wide from low fluid to sluggish or dirty tcc solenoid to imminent TCC failure. I do have a shudder at OD lockup, which initially suggests TCC solenoid to me. Anyone have experience with this issue?
Old 02-27-2023, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,622 Posts

The one person I recall having this was @EHarris , and he ended up having dealer rebuild tranny under lifetime warranty. It looks like you have an '11. Do you have the lifetime warranty many had on those '11s by chance?
Old 02-27-2023, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Last time I had shudder in a GM vehicle ended up having the TC replaced. I think you are in for a transmission teardown or removal at least.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

I don’t know about lifetime power train warranty as I bought it used, so I assume probably not
Old 02-28-2023, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I think it would be worth digging into that. Are you the second owner or quite a ways down the line? You can plug the VIN in here....but you might also call a dealer to inquire.

https://www.jeep.com/warranty.html#:...second%20owner.

I usually don't give a rip about any warranty for dealer work purposes cuz I avoid dealers at all cost, but this could be a big one so it's at least worth exploring. Googling around makes it look like those warranties are often tied to the VIN and not the owner, but that is just not something I have experience with or great knowledge on. I just know I'd explore that avenue as my first step if it was my jeep cuz I know in '11 they were pimping those lifetime warranties as a way to move the last of the 3.8L.....cuz everyone was waiting for the improved 3.6L to be stuck in the JK cuz we couldn't wait to deal with bad heads, crapped out rocker arm bearings, and leaking oil coolers with that engine!!!

It could be wishful thinking but only takes a few minutes to determine and MAYBE you get lucky.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

If I’m checking correctly on that website powertrain was 3yr/36,000mi.

Quick Reply: Intermittent P0740 TCC out of range