Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep 3.8 Engine Swap

Old 01-14-2021, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like that's a bit too much work for what I have got planned with this. The 3.6 motor is obviously better but it wouldn't be worth it for me to drop one in mine, I would rather just buy one with a 3.6 in it and switch everything over.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OscarMlke
Going from a 3.8L to a 3.6L is not too difficult. But you'd have to replace the wiring harnesses and jeeps computer. However I'm not certain if the transmissions would need to be swapped also. Taking a guess, I'd say you'd have to add a trans from a 3.6L also
I feel like that's a bit too much work for what I have got planned with this. The 3.6 motor is obviously better but it wouldn't be worth it for me to drop one in mine, I would rather just buy one with a 3.6 in it and switch everything over.
The following users liked this post:
OscarMlke (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I think maybe you misinterpreted the post. OP is swapping 3.8L for another 3.8L, or at least that is how I read it.
Yep that's what I'm doing.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
All I can offer is when you remove the old engine do not throw anything away and when removing do not chop lines or wiring in case you need something later on. Be very careful removing the bottom of the air cleaner as there are tabs on there that hold it to the body and they break off easy. Lift straight and wiggle it gently.
Yea that's what I planned on. Gonna save everything. Might just list the engine for a couple hundred bucks and see if someone takes it. It runs fine, just has the tick and if someone rebuilt it, it would be good.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
When you start removal, use a camera and video your removal.. now you have a installation video...
Check this out too;
https://youtu.be/Ee-48zi0wkA
Good idea, will do that. Thanks for sharing the video too.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

@bpJKU01 Agreed, however I answered base on what I read. it would have help me and others if you had said from a 3.8L to 3.8L then I never would have responded. Also, I answered as I did because going from a 3.8L to an 3.6L isn't that difficult. So when other says they want to put Hemi's in it be easier to drop a pent 3.6L
Kojack (01-16-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

I finished the swap over about 5 days. It took me an extra day since I spent nearly half a day trying to put the new engine back in with the torque converter bolted on. Rookie mistake. Despite how intimidating a task this was, it turned out to not be that hard. For those who are looking at doing it themselves, go for it! All it takes is some determination and being organized. Some key takeaways for me were: label everything you unplug and write numbers on painters tape to match up with what you unplug with what plugs into it, write down what you are taking out and in what order, bag every bolt and nut and label those as well, and get a friend to help you out. Those bell housing bolts are a real pain and test your patience for sure. I used a box wrench that had an angle on it and that really helped. I also recommend taking of the front grill, radiator, etc. as that made getting the engine out and the new one in much easier. Best of luck to everyone out there who is trying or thinking about trying this, you can do it!
The following 2 users liked this post by bpJKU01:
karls10jk (02-09-2021), resharp001 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Thank you for following up. This is on my list to do, I'm just not sure when.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I can do my best to help you out. Also, this channel does a pretty good job at showing you how to take it out. They don't have much on putting it back in, but you will remember where most of it goes, trust me. Just make sure to label the wires and bolts. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-...oNbLQ0aUkTRwtw
karls10jk (02-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Jeep 3.8 Engine Swap