Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep all over the road in the snow..

Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's any consolation, my BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/As (oversized at 265/75/16) did the same thing ... I checked my pressures all around, one was pretty low, 10 psi lower than the others. They got much better when I aired up some. Make sure you use a reliable tire gauge. Don't rely on the built-in one at the gas station on the air pump.

I recently switched to the Rubicon 32s with the BFG Mud-Terrains c/o Piginajeep and couldn't be happier. Those babies are great ... I have awesome traction and haven't had to slip it into 4wd since.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best solution to fishtailing in the winter......

Move to Fla or Arizona for the winter months......works like a charm.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

This morning I drove 60 miles before the plows had a chance to do much with the 6" of snow that fell last night. (Same storm that caused the 53 vehicle pile up in NH...)

Half was on highway plowed to single track. I was in 2wd then, although I saw several SUVs in ditches, including some Jeep luxury cousins. A few ESB shimmies but no worries. Averaged 55.

The second half was a small state road that travels from Winsted, CT to Marlborough, MA, through a MA state forest and a few really small (blink) towns. Well, as soon as I got to the MA line, the plows had not even hit a single track. Looked like they didn't even plow last week's storm. (take it all Deval out of money?)

Throwing it into 4 hi, son and I continued to roll along, averaging 40 on a road that I would drive at 60 when dry. Had to ride the ditch line a few times when opposing traffic appeared but there was no side slip.

Anyway, the point of the story is that bone stock, with X package and 17" wheels, Goodyear Wranglers this proved, after just short trips last winter, that this is one surefooted Jeep. Lots of opportunity for trouble, but never a moment of concern. For driving in snow I'd put it right up there with a '96Subaru Otback I had and better than an Audi A4 Quattro that I drive most of the time. All manual transmissions, all 4 season tires. It beats the pants off an '04 Trailblazer that I had. That thing was scary in the snow!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liquidrock
Hellbound...I too was fish tailing a few times in the snow we got yesterday. Remember, there was so much moisture in our little storm that made it slippery. I have the stock Rubi tires and the conditions were just perfect for hard compact slippery road conditions. Between the torque of the Jeep, moisture of the snow, temperature, and tread of the tire, compactness of the snow, it is perfect for fishtailing conditions.

I know your frustrated with all the problems you are having with your Jeep but this may not be one of them.
Thanks liquid. I am also going to try airing up from 32 to 35.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RepressedSince15
...It beats the pants off an '04 Trailblazer that I had. That thing was scary in the snow!
My parents say the same thing about their trail blazer, and my dad drives in incliment weather all the time... he is a rural letter carrier.

My experience with my old Liberty after driving an expedition lead me toward my first jeep. That thing walked up an iced over hill without so much as slipping, while my wife couldn't even get her van out of the drive much less up the hill. I have had the JK in some light snow and ice, but other than seeing the ESP light flash a time or two I didn't really feel it. Knowing Missouri weather, we're due for another ice storm one of these weeks so I'll get another chance to test it out.

Quick Reply: Jeep all over the road in the snow..