Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

jeep death wobble help

Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep death wobble help

i have a 2009 jeep wrangler sahara edition 4 door jeep. the vehicle has 71,000 miles on it and the wobble/shake issue has been an ongoing issue.

this is what i have recently to resolve the issue:

1-all the tie rod ends / steering linkage have been replaced.
2- the steering dampener has been replaced - twice
3- all nuts bolts were checked and re-torqued - none were found loose
4- front axle locator rod,bushings and mounting brackets were checked for wear and cracks - none found
5 trailing arms and bushings are in good condition - no wear or looseness found
6- new tires were installed and balanced and alignment was found to be in spec. - this was done at about 40,000 miles
7- ball joints and wheel bearings were checked for wear and are tight. they have not been replaced

the front coil springs have not been replaced.

any help or suggestions yall could provide would be a great help.

i am at my wits end with this thing. if i dont get it resolved soon i am going to take it back to the dealership where we bought it and trade it in. they have not been able to resolve this either. enough is enough already. thanks, boudin
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to ask but I'm on the phone app and can't see your mods. So what mods have you done to your Jeep?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This great write up is helpful
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

cis911, my jeep is bone stock,just as it was the day we bought it. there are no mods of any sort
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k0260
thanks for the link. i will take the time to read it
Old 02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default similar issue

i always hear and read about the death wobble or just the wobble in general. i have an 09 unlimited also with 72K miles and have been dealing with the same thing recently. it was getting so bad, that i had to try and at least rotate and re-balance my tires... the wobble or shake is at 45mph, give or take - i feel like its more when i'm slowing down, rather than just cruising that speed.

i have a 2.5" Rubicon Express BB and 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers. it was put on my Jeep at about 20K miles. it is almost time for new tires which i hope could help. and i plan on going with a new 3.5" BDS full suspension lift. hopefully things will get fixed somewhere in the mix of all this happening...

i will read that link as well; let me know if you find anything out. where are you at in LA? what dealership do you deal with?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

My 09 has 56k on it and I started to notice a vibration in the front shortly after a rotation and its been driving me nuts. So I've been on tons of boards looking and trying to figure this fn thing out. Had one if the tires balanced, multiple shops inspect it stating that I needed ball joints, damper and replaced. I had it into the dealer for the trans coolant line replacement and so I had them take it for a drive and look at it. Thy said one of the tires is warped and its time for new tires and a damper.
Definitely not paying 250 to have the replace that $45 part. Rediculous. But my tires have 6/32's left. So it could be something as simple as new tires are needed. I wasn't going to start tire shopping till the end of spring but i guess I'll start now.

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

A forum member, planman, has a great write up for the DW problem on this forum. His diagnosis method and detailed explanation makes sense and is very helpful understanding what happens.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out this video. It's right on. I have fixed these countless times and this video is a" death wobble 101 fix"
http://youtu.be/gVJx8buTE8I

Quick Reply: jeep death wobble help