Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep JKU is whistling at startup

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECU Pirate
The sound on the YouTube video is the same as I hear. Mine does not usually last that long but that is the sound. If this is a vacuum leak is this bad? Never heard of this before, what is the usual repair like?
I think I have also noticed it is much more likely to happen when it is really cold (Under 40 degrees )
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

I have noticed that it appears to have this issue on cold mornings. That being said it will probably be screaming like a banshee tomorrow with temps. projected to be 9.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

I've got the same issue... anything get resolved?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was your radio on when you started the jeep?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

A friend of mine has a 2012 rubi. He had a weird whistle noise he couldn't figure out. Never would have guessed it, but it was coming from the PCV system. The dealer replaced that under warranty and it fixed his whistle noise.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
A friend of mine has a 2012 rubi. He had a weird whistle noise he couldn't figure out. Never would have guessed it, but it was coming from the PCV system. The dealer replaced that under warranty and it fixed his whistle noise.
Could it be the water pump going out or , alternator pulley going bad?
Anyone been able to find out?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I cannot find any resolution to this problem. My JK is now making the identical noise. Only at startup when its cold - absolutely brake related.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default noise

Originally Posted by JKSlow
I know this is an old thread, but I cannot find any resolution to this problem. My JK is now making the identical noise. Only at startup when its cold - absolutely brake related.
Well, I had the same sound and was driving me crazy. The dealer couldn't find the issue, so I decided to look for my self. I found out it was my serpentine belt making the whistle noise upon staring my jeep. I went to the local auto parts store and found serpentine belt conditioner, sprayed a little on the belt and the noise never came back. I did a little research, and people have had a defective belt tensioner making the serpentine belt loose traction and making that high peach noise. I will keep my eye for a bad tensioner, but so far is been good for 6 months.
Also idler pulleys go bad sometimes making a grinding sound while engine at idle. Very easy to replace.

Hope this helps
Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I get a whistle on cold start up too. as soon as I touch the brake pedal, lasts abought 5 seconds. it does it if I brake hard too. I think its a vacuum leak on the booster.

Quick Reply: Jeep JKU is whistling at startup