Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep JKU is whistling at startup

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep JKU is whistling at startup

I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon (MWF3) with aprox 28K miles. In the past week I have noticed an intermittent whistle when I start up the jeep. It is a definite electrical high pitch whistle from the dash. I also notice that there is a red dot that sometimes illuminates when this happens (Red Dot to the right top of dash). It usually happens when I start the Jeep and turns off after a few seconds but sometimes It will stay on for a while.. I will shut the jeep off, and restart and it will still be on.. it WILL shut off after a few seconds though 90% of the time. It has also happend after driving maybe 1/8 miles and stopping at a stop sign. It is usually when the jeep is a cold start..

I will try to post audio / video but wanted to get this question out there.

thanks all
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

The red dot is the security system, regardless of what level you've got. Mine will occasionally light up, but not for any length of time like you're describing.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the reply, I do notice the red dot light up for a split second at startup all the time.. when I hear the whistle it stays lit for extended period of time.. maybe I have an issue with my alarm system?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

I don't have any info on that for ya, I don't have the alarm system like you do. It just lights up with the remote start and it illuminated when I had a fresh key cut but not programmed.

I'm sure you'll get more info, just give it a minute and folks will show up.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2013 JKU with about 19,000 mi. and my Jeep has begun making the whistle also. It will usually do it do not long after I start it up. It does it when I start it with the key and I do not get a red light or any other sign that something is wrong. It does not do it every time and it started about 3 weeks ago. It usually only lasts about a second or two, however, today it lasted for about 5 sec. but it trailed off and got more quiet as it did. Dealer has never heard of it and of course I can never replicate the noise when there so.......
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

After going out to start my Jeep this morning I discovered it was my brakes making the noise. I would step on the brake to shift it into gear and I would get the whistle. It could clearly be heard outside the Jeep as well as inside. I was able to reproduce the whistle a few times by stepping on and off the brake. After about 5 min. the whistle sound can not be produced anymore. Does anyone know what this is?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ECU Pirate
After going out to start my Jeep this morning I discovered it was my brakes making the noise. I would step on the brake to shift it into gear and I would get the whistle. It could clearly be heard outside the Jeep as well as inside. I was able to reproduce the whistle a few times by stepping on and off the brake. After about 5 min. the whistle sound can not be produced anymore. Does anyone know what this is?
If the noise is coming from under the hood and when you step on the brake, it might be a vacuum leak in the brake booster cylinder or a different vacuum leak.

Check under the hood with the engine running and move around some vacuum hoses. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, I was finally able to record it.. I was wrong on the red light, it comes on for a split second every time i start the jeep.. but this sounds happens on cold starts every 2 or 3 times...
I have attached a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6QjafQ-jAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6QjafQ-jAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Is this the same as you are hearing ECUPirate?
Anyone know what this might be?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

The sound on the YouTube video is the same as I hear. Mine does not usually last that long but that is the sound. If this is a vacuum leak is this bad? Never heard of this before, what is the usual repair like?

Quick Reply: Jeep JKU is whistling at startup