Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep Life Extension

Old 11-26-2006, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Life Extension

Hello Fellow JK owners!

While I'm not typically a "new car guy" I just couldn't wait to purchase the new JK. As a matter of fact I sold my "Bavarian Money Waster" and my other Jeep (TJ) and just purchased a new JK. I also tend to keep vehicles for a long time - I kept my first YJ for 10 years.

The new vehicle in my garage got me to thinking about how I would give it a good start in life before I pour $$ into aftermarket wheels tires, bumpers, lights etc. Not only is a fully documented one owner vehicle worth more at resale time but anything I can do to extend the life and reliability of this Jeep would be a good idea. I'm curious to see what others on this board are planning to do to their JKs.

We all know regular oil changes and fluid changes following manufacturers recommendations are a given. What are others thinking:

A switch to synthetic oil?

What about the xfer case and diffs - other thoughts about caring for them?

BTW- great to see such an active board.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the JK will be anything like my other Jeeps, I'd say just follow the maintenance chart based on the kind of driving you do and go. This has worked wonders for my TJ with 130,000 miles on it, my CJ with 187,000 miles on it and my XJ with 185,000 miles on it. As far as oils go, I still use dino in my engine but I do regular changes every 3,000 miles. As far as the tranny goes, I only use Mopar Fluid or Redline MT90, the transfer case, I just use standard ATF+3 and in the diffs, I usually use synthetic gear oil

Again, assuming this new Jeep is built with the same toughness, not much should be needed to keep it going forever
Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

I too have been wondering this. I keep hearing that synthetic is good if you want the engine to last forever. I have no problem spending extra going with mobile1 but I also wonder if it is really needed if you change the oil every 3000 miles? Seems this new engine is going to be a breeze to change the oil. That filter is in an easy to reach place.
I have never used sythetic and right now my dodge ram has rolled 100K with NO problems and that is with regular oil changes.
I am planning on following the scheduled maintenance exactly unless someone convinces me of a better method. I too plan on having this jeep for a long long time.

Bryan
Old 11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

If you have a manual tranny, change the fluid to Royal Purple, or Redline. There seem to have been some problems with the synchos in this tranny in the TJ, and the switch to Royal Purple or Redline seems to arrest the decay if not remediate the problem.

Ironically, these fluids may invalidate your warranty, so be aware of that.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Jeep Life Extension