Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep will start but guages blank, stuck in park, wipers won't turn off??

Old 12-03-2022, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

UPDATE: The battery checked out OK. It was not fully charged so I charged it up and reinstalled. They did not have the right battery connectors so I used the same ones but they seemed tight and didn't move. Same results! I went though everything again and noticed that she does come out of Park and will go to any gear. Of course she starts fine and I double checked the alternator which is working fine. The lights just come on but you can't turn them off. The wipers just start but can't be turned off . The radio lights up and works. The air is on low but you can't change it and the air Cond won't come on. This is so strange. Any other ideas?
Old 12-03-2022, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

It sounds like symptoms of a bad TIPM to me. Do you have JSCAN or similar that can check the enhanced codes (advanced scan in the JSCAN app)?
Old 12-04-2022, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

I was wondering about the TIPM. No I don't have anything but a regular code reader. I was going to see if there were any codes to read this morning. I was also going to see if most of the issues have inputs from the TIPM to see if there was a correlation. They are expensive!
Old 12-04-2022, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies! The simple reader I have does reflect any codes. I found another place that had the right terminal clamps and got those installed no change. I did a hard rest on the TIPM with no change. I went through all the doors and pulled/wiggled on the harness and connectors in case there was a short there and no change. To add to the symptoms the brake lights work but the turn signs don't? I sent a note to MAKS since I think if I get a TIPM it would be from them. I explained the symptoms and asked if that was what a typical bad TIPM. I looked at their videos and that is why I did the reset and checked the door wiring. The Jeep was running fine, parked in a garage for about three or four weeks and I went to take her out and this is where I am. Glad it didn't happen anywhere else. Any other ideas?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

What about ground issues. When I installed my driver deadman pedal (good to have) I disconnected the studs with the grounds by the footwell to mount the pedal on and the wipers started running all by themselves with no key in the ignition. I disconnected the battery to stop them and once the pedal was fully installed reconnected battery and all was well again.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

I had checked the grounds by the battery. I talked to Macs and I have send them the TIPM to be tested/rebuilt. They said these are typical symptoms so we will see in about a week or so when they test it.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE: MAKS found the TIPM was bad and rebuilt it. It is on it's back to me and then hopefully I will post the last update with success!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
UPDATE: MAKS found the TIPM was bad and rebuilt it. It is on it's back to me and then hopefully I will post the last update with success!
Good, it sounded like a bad TIPM.
Old 12-15-2022, 05:08 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE: Unfortunately the rebuilt TIPM did not change anything. I talked to MAKS and they agreed that the charge should just be for testing and the rest has already been refunded. I would highly recommend them if anyone has a TIPM problem. So now I am going to drive her to the dealer so they can hook it up the diagnostic machine. The dealer is a lot closer than the one auto repair place I know that does a good job. Hopefully the issue can be found!
Old 12-24-2022, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE: The issue is the cluster module. They have ordered one and hopefully she will be fixed next week.

Quick Reply: Jeep will start but guages blank, stuck in park, wipers won't turn off??