Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jeep wont move!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wont move!

My friends has a 2007 JKU auto with around 80,000 miles on it. Today he was backing out of his driveway and everything was fine, put it into drive and he said it would just rev up like it got stuck in neutral, then he put it in park to look at the jeep from the outside, got back in and now the shifter wont move out of park. He said he can still push the jeep forward like it is in neutral. Any one had anything similar like this happen to them?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First thought, check transmission fluid level.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transfer case somehow slid from 2wd to N?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I will have him look into both. Does anyone know if the shift knob itself could have broken? like linkage or anything. Just find it weird that it is still in neutral but the shift knob wont move out of park.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowridr
I will have him look into both. Does anyone know if the shift knob itself could have broken? like linkage or anything. Just find it weird that it is still in neutral but the shift knob wont move out of park.
If the linkage broke I would expect the shifter to be free wheeling.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Former Member

May or may not help but there's a little flap by the shifter that you put a key in to free up a locked shifter. Instructions are in the manual book in glove box
Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a dead battery. When my alternator went it did the same thing. I had enough juice to start it and move shifter into gear but not enough for the shift solenoids to engage. Is there boxes around all the gear indicators? Usually you have a box around the gear that is selected but if there is a box around all of them it won't move.

if you can read this, my Jeep is broken....

Quick Reply: Jeep wont move!