Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jerry Cans

Old 08-23-2017, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ace Gatekeeper i love it

Old 08-24-2017, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

So I notice most people prefer the roto-pax cans to the steel cans. Wouldn't you prefer something metal that is more difficult to puncture?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by blackie27
So I notice most people prefer the roto-pax cans to the steel cans. Wouldn't you prefer something metal that is more difficult to puncture?
I much prefer metal cans over plastic ones for fuel.

Metal doesn't do this, I spotted this at Easter Jeep Safari this year and had to take a photo of it...

But I prefer plastic to metal for water, and in plastic I much prefer Rubicans to Rotopax, they're less expensive and stronger. I've got a spigot on this one:

Old 08-24-2017, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
I much prefer metal cans over plastic ones for fuel. Metal doesn't do this, I spotted this at Easter Jeep Safari this year and had to take a photo of it... But I prefer plastic to metal for water, and in plastic I much prefer Rubicans to Rotopax, they're less expensive and stronger. I've got a spigot on this one:
Where can you find rubicans? No luck with a google search
Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Where can you find rubicans? No luck with a google search
http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop/...m-black-water/
Old 08-24-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I'm also somewhat new to off-roading, and am curious what would be the purpose of taking water in a can like that? Is it for drinking?
Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
Metal doesn't do this, I spotted this at Easter Jeep Safari this year and had to take a photo of it...

Damn, that's crazy. If you keep any can full of gas you have to vent it as temp/altitude changes, otherwise it'll either break or you'll get a face full of hot gas when you open it. I usually keep mine empty unless I'm going somewhere. I've literally only used mine to fuel my bikes at the track.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default to be honest a empty can is worse than a full one

more fumes so they claim . i have not found the steel cans to have issue heat nor cold they seem to flex with no bloating . and as you pull pin and release the lid lever a small amount of pressure is relieved . but not hot gas or anything like that ! maybe out west where you people see extreme heat , idk but not on east coast but you get what you pay for if you buy cheap knock off cans that might be a problem . Id rather pay 79.00 and get quality but thats my opinion as for the side mount holder i luv that thing . id like to get a rubican actually . But i dont carry water for my local use. if i get some xtra money some day ill grab one they look awesome for what they are . jscherb designs some really cool stuff if you follow him on the forum. And it never hurts to have a water tank empty for emergency just in case . u never know

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-24-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks. I'm also somewhat new to off-roading, and am curious what would be the purpose of taking water in a can like that? Is it for drinking?
Yes, mostly for drinking but also for washing up. Maybe not so important on shorter trails, but for overlanding/expedition travel or camping, water is necessary.

If I've got my fridge/kitchen installed for the expedition, a Rubican water container is mounted to the side of the slide-out fridge.

Water can also be a good idea on shorter trails - if you break down you will probably want to have water for the time until you can get off the trail.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Im used to rafting, and river water can give you the beaver fever, so we always brought a gallon a day per person. We also brought a lot of beer.

The Rubican is a great product. Modify it like Scherb or I have and its even better with the spigot and vent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubicanoo9.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	674406

Im still waiting on hearing back on the mount so I can have two Rubicas mounted on my cooler.

The Rubican or Rotopax would have been great in my rafting days.

I would go Rubican over Rotopax if you have the space, Rubican is cheaper and comes with a mount. And good quality.

The Rortopax is a quality product as well but doest come with a ount.

For either modify it fot the vent and spigot. I've added the spigots and vents to both brands of cans with no leaks.

Last edited by akpostal; 08-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Jerry Cans