Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jerry Cans

Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerry Cans

Think I understand what they're for, but looking to hear from others. On some long trips driving in mountain west, I noticed that sometimes gas can be many miles apart (Wyoming) and that it can be at times ices to have an extra tank of gas as the Wrangler doesn't have great mileage. Also, long trips to a trail usually leaves you without much gas when you get there, or sometimes it's sketchy when you're on the trail with low gas.

I was considering adding a Jerry can mount and tank for gas for my trip to Moab this Labor Day as it's a long drive, and will want to make sure I have gas for hitting the trails.

What have been your guys experiences with this and what are some suggestions on mounts? I was considering the mount to the spare tire for a close fit.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can do a spare tire mount but unless you've got a mount that is reinforced to hold the extra weight then that's where you need to go first.

Another option- MorRyde makes a mount that sits on the front quarter panel but doesn't touch the paint. You can safely store fuel up there.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I wouldn't worry about if for Moab if you're just "hitting the trails". That is, if you're starting in Moab with a serious overlanding trip--say from there down to Elephant Hill, out of Canyonlands on the south side (Beef Basin), then over to Canyonlands Maze District on the east side, then gas is certainly a concern. But, if you're driving Tower Arch, Fins and Things, Gemini Bridges, Hell's Gate, Poison Spider Mesa, or even Elephant Hill, etc, and return to Moab, just fill up each morning before you head out.

Of course, LOL, I'm the guy giving advice that always seems to be running out of gas because the only station for 250 miles was out of gas. So carrying an extra few gallons is not a bad idea. But Moab has a dozen or two gas stations. And if it's just the popular "trails" at Moab, I wouldn't bother to fill any jerry cans. Seriously, unless you are planning to drive long distances between gas stops at Moab, you shouldn't worry about it.

Me, in full running trim when gas is a real concern--somewhere north of the Arctic Circle ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, Ray's Pics, 1_6161, Dalton Highway.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	673742
Old 08-01-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I carry a 3 gal Rotopax on trips. I fill it and add Stabil so I can keep fuel in there for months.

Why?

I was wheeling in the Colorado mountains and the low fuel light came on when I finally got to a small town. I was so relieved only to discover their only gas station was out of gas for the day, and the truck would be there 'sometime tomorrow'. I white knuckled it to the next town 18 miles away on the low fuel light as darkness was closing in. I got real lucky and made it but carry extra fuel now, hahaha.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

There are a bunch of options here: Jerry Can Carriers | Retrofit Offroad
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrClortho
I carry a 3 gal Rotopax on trips. I fill it and add Stabil so I can keep fuel in there for months. Why? I was wheeling in the Colorado mountains and the low fuel light came on when I finally got to a small town. I was so relieved only to discover their only gas station was out of gas for the day, and the truck would be there 'sometime tomorrow'. I white knuckled it to the next town 18 miles away on the low fuel light as darkness was closing in. I got real lucky and made it but carry extra fuel now, hahaha.
That's what happened to me when I was exploring a new trail didn't realize there would be no gas in the nearby town! Hence, it seemed like it would be nice to have some gas in these situations
Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrClortho
I carry a 3 gal Rotopax on trips. I fill it and add Stabil so I can keep fuel in there for months. Why? I was wheeling in the Colorado mountains and the low fuel light came on when I finally got to a small town. I was so relieved only to discover their only gas station was out of gas for the day, and the truck would be there 'sometime tomorrow'. I white knuckled it to the next town 18 miles away on the low fuel light as darkness was closing in. I got real lucky and made it but carry extra fuel now, hahaha.
Also, I've never heard of stabil. What's the ratio you would use and does it harm your vehicle? If you didn't use stabil, how long would gas in a Jerry can be effective?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Use one ounce of stabil for every 2.5 gallons of gasoline. It will not harm your vehicle and has been around for a really long time. Gasoline will stay fresh 3-5 months in a sealed container. Stabil will keep it fresh for over a year to 24 months. If you run old gas in your vehicle, lawn mower, weed eater, pressure washer....it will just run rough or may not start.

Originally Posted by blackie27
Also, I've never heard of stabil. What's the ratio you would use and does it harm your vehicle? If you didn't use stabil, how long would gas in a Jerry can be effective?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i use the side mount

I like it . I was going to mount racks in the rear ,but decided I liked the looks of it on the side . And knowing you have the fuel is a good feeling at least I feel this way
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5018.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	673821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5014_LI.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	949.8 KB
ID:	673822  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

I always carry gas when I go out to the Colorado mountains, because I may camp out in the high country for several days and exploring the area takes gas. I don't like to take chances especially because I am usually by myself. I use the Hardrock rear bumper with jerry can racks and a overhead basket on my JK.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	674142

Quick Reply: Jerry Cans