Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK Oil Burning?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read on another thread to use 30 instead of 20. We use the 20 because that is what the manual tells us to use. The jeep goes through about a quart and half every 2000 miles. Not sure if we should try the 30. He claims of course if we use a thicker oil it will patch the problem but theres still a problem. On top of that I have the gas tank that overflows and a crazy shake at 40mph that came out of nowhere. Did I mention he loves my jeep
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kashlak
I read on another thread to use 30 instead of 20. We use the 20 because that is what the manual tells us to use. The jeep goes through about a quart and half every 2000 miles. Not sure if we should try the 30. He claims of course if we use a thicker oil it will patch the problem but theres still a problem. On top of that I have the gas tank that overflows and a crazy shake at 40mph that came out of nowhere. Did I mention he loves my jeep
see the post above you; change your PCV valve. Cheap, easy, and has helped some (not all) posters with unexplained oil loss.

Also check the spark plugs for unusual build up. Check for weeps and leaks if you haven't already.

A dealer should replace you gas tank (search for the many other threads on this) and the crazy shake could be as simple as a wheel out of balance. Look over the rims, you may notice a spot where a balance wait "used to be". Otherwise check the ball-joints and other components for unusual wear.

Enjoy!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
see the post above you; change your PCV valve. Cheap, easy, and has helped some (not all) posters with unexplained oil loss.

Also check the spark plugs for unusual build up. Check for weeps and leaks if you haven't already.

A dealer should replace you gas tank (search for the many other threads on this) and the crazy shake could be as simple as a wheel out of balance. Look over the rims, you may notice a spot where a balance wait "used to be". Otherwise check the ball-joints and other components for unusual wear.

Enjoy!
Thanks I will pass this info on. I know he checked for weeps and leaks already. He also checked this pass weekend to make sure everything was tight on the jeep, ball joints and what not and everything was okay. As for the gas tank yes I am aware they will put a new one in but I didn't get the damn letter yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let me add he said it can't be the pcv valves because that would mean there would be oil in the air box. I guess we will try the thicker oil.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Let me add he said it can't be the pcv valves because that would mean there would be oil in the air box. I guess we will try the thicker oil.
It may not be the pcv valve, but it's cheap and easy to replace.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ling-PCV-Valve
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it safe to use 5w30? Sams club sells 6qt jugs of mobile 1 synthetic at a great price but not 5w20
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crawl under you JKU if you see any leaks. I did an recent oil change myself a few weeks back. I noticed a dripping under my JKU thought I maybe did not tighten the drain plug or oil filter tight enough....ended up being my Slave cylinder failed.

After I got the slave cylinder fixed at the dealership, the next day my wife noticed one drip spot on the carport concrete again under the JKU. I thought the dealership gave me a bumped up slave cylinder. I peek at the bellhousing and no leaks. take a peek under the oil pan. No leaks. Then I check the oil level it is below the safe level... So, I thought maybe it was burning oil or my oil filter is loose. I got thinking I couldn't burn that much in 500km of driving. Crawl under and see this mess!!!

I thought at first it was the timing cover leak....but a few members pointed me to look at the crank seals.... It got towed on Friday to the dealership and I still have not got word from them what the issue. To be honest this mess only left one drip of oil on the carport. I would have thought more with this mess. I figured I lost about 1.5liters of oil. Could have ended up worse.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-19-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by millfire517
Is it safe to use 5w30? Sams club sells 6qt jugs of mobile 1 synthetic at a great price but not 5w20
It's perfectly safe to use 5w-30.

Last edited by benny; 04-19-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow this is a big mess No he already checked under the JK for any leaks. I don't even leave oil spots in parking places. No idea where the oil is going but at least I am not alone with this problem. He does all the work on the JK everytime vehicles go to the dealer they just come back more messed up. For example my ebrake still don't work after the whole cable freakin snapped still drifts. Forgot to mention that problem too
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I have that same mess. Let me know what happens....please PM me about it if possible.

Thanks

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Crawl under you JKU if you see any leaks. I did an recent oil change myself a few weeks back. I noticed a dripping under my JKU thought I maybe did not tighten the drain plug or oil filter tight enough....ended up being my Slave cylinder failed.

After I got the slave cylinder fixed at the dealership, the next day my wife noticed one drip spot on the carport concrete again under the JKU. I thought the dealership gave me a bumped up slave cylinder. I peek at the bellhousing and no leaks. take a peek under the oil pan. No leaks. Then I check the oil level it is below the safe level... So, I thought maybe it was burning oil or my oil filter is loose. I got thinking I couldn't burn that much in 500km of driving. Crawl under and see this mess!!!

I thought at first it was the timing cover leak....but a few members pointed me to look at the crank seals.... It got towed on Friday to the dealership and I still have not got word from them what the issue. To be honest this mess only left one drip of oil on the carport. I would have thought more with this mess. I figured I lost about 1.5liters of oil. Could have ended up worse.

Quick Reply: JK Oil Burning?