Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK popping out of 1st

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK popping out of 1st

I know this has been discussed before but I was just hoping for an update and possible some insight. After my last 4 wheeling trip my 6 spd pops out of first EVERY time I drive it.
Once it even jerked my arm back and kinda hurt my shoulder.

What are the possible causes for this?

Is there something I can do to fix this?

What was the outcome for people who used the tsb to get this fixed?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine to the dealer and they fixed it under warrant. Hopefully this post doesn't jinx me!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

do you know what they did? new transmission?
Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine will do that also, but only if it doesnt go into gear all the way... there is one spot where i put it in first, feels like it is seated, but its not. start driving, then wham!! I took it in a couple times and they got it to do it, but when its completely in gear its fine. they wouldnt do anything about it, but i have a record of it being a problem if it continues.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I've had the same problem. Mostly when driving in heavy traffic. I think its just because I wasn't paying attention and didn't seat it into gear all the way, as stated above. I know if I pay attention and push it all the way into gear the problem doesn't occur... still scares the S%!t out of me every time though....
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in a couple cases i had heard of it being an issue with the inner shift boot not allowing the shifter to go solidly into gear..

I think in some cases they replaced that.

if it keeps popping from what I understand it will round off the gate for that gear or round off the edges of the gears themselves. that would require a new shifter or possibly transmission rebuild / replace (hard part damage)...

I had 3 jeeps with 6 speeds.. only ever had a popout maybe twice in all of them.. and in those cases I was hasty and let the clutch out before i was solidly in first...

-Christopher
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

yall are talking about something else.... not putting it into gear is different than putting it into 1st securely and then waiting with a rapid heart beat for it to fling back and jerk the entire vehicle.... It litteraly happens 3-4 times a day
Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are talking about the same thing... It stops and feels like it is completely seated in first, then when you take it off it SLAMS out of gear, makes a horrible sound and ive hit my elbow several times on the center counsel if i was still holding on the gear shift. If you sit there with your foot on the clutch and constantly put it in first, every once in a while you will feel it... will feel like its seated, except it wont go forward as much as it should.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

There's a TSB out for it; was discussed in length in another thread here recently. Apparantly they replace the 1st gear set or sometimes even the entire transmission.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

If its firmly in gear, and you let the clutch out and it pops, then sounds like a clutch, pressure plate issue, not the box itself. Would like to see the TSB out for this problem.

Quick Reply: JK popping out of 1st