Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JK Rubicon rear axle question

Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Rubicon rear axle question

Alright guys I have a question that I haven't been able to figure out through my Factory resources(I am a DC Metro CJDR Parts Manager) so I am turning to you. I bought a JK rear Rubicon assembly from a wholesale customer that was involved in a wreck. As it turns out the housing itself is slightly bent and I am concerned about using it in my DD 2017 JKU. So my options are to try and salvage this axle with a new housing (preferred method) or putting a Truetrac in the back of my 44 and re-gearing.

With that said, the part number for a Rubicon rear housing is the same through MY2015. In 2016 they changed part numbers on the housing but I cannot figure out what the differences might be in them. Also, the cost on the bare housing is half of the price on the 2016+ versus the older housing.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth the hassle .. Just put the gears and TruTrac in your existing axle housing. There is NO Benefit to swapping in the Rubi rear D44.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Not worth the hassle .. Just put the gears and TruTrac in your existing axle housing. There is NO Benefit to swapping in the Rubi rear D44.
I completely disagree with this. How is there no benefit to putting in the Rubi rear D44? Benefits include: an actual selectable locker instead of a limited slip differential AND larger spline count axle shafts (32 spline vs 30 spline).

Anyhow, to the OP, I'm not aware of a change that occurred with the rear axle housing. Aftermarket support for those axles are all the same, I think, regardless of year, so to me that would indicate they are functionally the same. You could try calling the folks from East Coast Gear Supply. They are pretty tuned into Dana factory axles. Someone there might be able to answer your question (they might even be able to get you a new housing).
The following users liked this post:
jdinny (01-08-2018)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
I completely disagree with this. How is there no benefit to putting in the Rubi rear D44? Benefits include: an actual selectable locker instead of a limited slip differential AND larger spline count axle shafts (32 spline vs 30 spline).
No benefit at all. For less then a Rubi axle you can install 35 Spline axles and locker of your choice in that Sahara D44.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

He already bought the rubi axle, you'll have to argue about something else ...

The choices seem to be:
1. Pay to gut and straighten the bent rubi housing.
2. Buy a replacement rubi housing to dump all the parts into.
3. Sell the Rubi44, Pay for a truetrac plus install in the non-rubi 44.

Get quotes and see how much difference there is in the prices. Assuming number 2 isn't too much more expensive than 3, I'd go for 2. (from my one experience with a bent housing, 1 and 2 were about the same cost, so a new housing makes sense)

No idea on any differrences between those years, but I'd guess the half-price housing is a misprint?

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-26-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

So the housing is bent, likely 1 or both axles are bent as well. What's left, an elocker if that is not damaged.. is replacing the housing even an option?
Old 11-26-2017, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get a complete Dana 44 assembly in a crate.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for the tru trak. They are awesome.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The weak link in any JK rear axle is the axle shaft flanges. They will bend no matter the spline count, stock or aftermarket shafts, etc. that being said, your best money is spent on an ARB & matching 35 spline shafts. The non-Rubi housing can be easily upgraded as such, as well as the Rubi housing. Stock rear 44 is nearly 60 strength in many areas.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No benefit to a locker ?
Strange answer

Quick Reply: JK Rubicon rear axle question