Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JK Steering Issues

Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Steering Issues

I recently bought a 2014 JK Wrangler. I am now noticing that when I make sharp turns at any speed that I am feeling a pulsation (steering wheel tries to move back and forth) during the turn. It does ok on gradual turns but very noticeable on 60-90 degree turns. Drives great straight forward and does not make any noises. I am hearing that front u-joints could be the issues in that they are binding up. Any thoughts? Appreciate any help
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Unless you're driving around in 4WD, I can't imagine this being a front u-joint issue on a '14. I mean, it's not impossible you have a bad u-joint, but I think it's less likely given the age. You'll typically hear a clicking sound when you have a bad u-joint as well. You on the factory suspension, or is this a lifted jeep?

If it were my jeep, I'd start by checking the torque on all steering components, and inspecting all joints. If you're not sure how to do this, you can search up Planman's videos on YouTube for a good example. Do you have any other symptoms at all? When you hit bumps or potholes, is the steering solid? The only thing you notice is pulsating when turning? Think there's a chance it could be brake related at all?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

It drives perfect except for this. Steering is tight and has no suspension issues. Jeep came from Canada originally and the joints look extremely rusty. Does it in 2WD as well so not 4WD related. If I am standing still and turn wheel back and forth it is very smooth. Only makes issue if rolling and sharper turns. Notice also when wheel is correcting itself after the turn. It is a stock jeep with original wheels and no lift
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Interesting. Maybe this is something happening between the steering box and the firewall, translating in to steering wheel feedback. You might inspect the steering column intermediate shaft to see if there is something binding there.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

thanks I will try that.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Sounds odd if suspension is stock, and on stock size tires. Steering stabilizer is stock as well?

I had bad U-Joints which I replaced last spring. Below is a link to a recording of the sound they made, to give you a better idea of what bad axle U-Joints sound like. They would only make this noise when I had it in 4WD, no noise from them while in 2WD which is what Resharp had pointed out earlier. I didn't get any steering pulsating as well. I'ld suspect the steering stabilizer if your axle U-joints aren't making a noise similar to my recording.

The steering stabilizer can be removed and driven without out. If you don't find the problem, you may give that a try to see if the problem goes away.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lG...lqQu9NpE0g41C7
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I did another test yesterday in a large parking lot. What I determined that if I drive in a continous circle of various radius is that the pulsating gets worse as the turning is sharper. Steering wheel will kind of jerk back and forth at certain turning level and keep doing that until I change the sharpness of the turn. To me it feels drivetrain related as if you increase speed the pulsating will increase.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Do you have someone you could do the same test with again, letting them drive as you observe from outside? If the pulsating is changing with speed, i guess the only thing that is rotational like that would be the u-joints......I'd just think you'd be hearing some noise with that. Have you been able to do a decent visual inspection of them? Think you'd really have to pull the entire axle shaft out to give them a really good inspection and to get your hands on em, but maybe you could get your hand in teh C and push back and forth at the joint, then pull forward a bit to re-orientate the u-joint, doing the same thing so you've tested both directions for play. Not certain how easy that would be a on stock vehicle. My front end is so open and easily accessible I often forget all the things that get in the way when factory, not lifted, and with higher back spaced wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Quin (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I plan to jack it up this weekend and rotate the tires while turning the steering to see if anything pops out. Thanks for your advice
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

From the sounds of what you're describing is going on, it kind of sounds like the T-case is stuck in 4WD and you're experiencing dry pavement hop.

Quick Reply: JK Steering Issues