Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kayak rack for soft top

Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HighRoad
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the blocks/tue down method?
Whenever I've done that, they blow around a lot and tend to get sideways on the roof. On my old CJ8 I used to just stuff the boats in the back, I'll likely do that with the JK as well.

Of course, I have playboats (7'), so that will likely not work with someone with long touring kayaks (11'+).
Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Sahara_Maverick

By the way. I am planning to buy a kayak but have no idea of which. Any recommendations of good forums or websites about this topic?[/QUOTE]

Good idea with the light bar for taking the 'yak on the JK. Blocks, too, mentioned above on here are useful/inexpensive ... and/or boat cushion under bow on top of windshield frame works well when then tied to shackles/bumper & going on somewhat short distances. But, I usually use my 'Yak Rack that I made. Best Part: Very Cheap, Very Portable & Lightweight ta'boot!
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Back View with Kayak Rack.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	263384Click image for larger version

Name:	JK & Kayak Hitch.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	263385Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Kayak Rack Parts.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	263386

Would guess you've considered Sea 'Yaks. I'm only on lakes/rivers in my area (don't do WW - just leisure & recreational) For the money, Emotion makes some great ones with low prices, yet structurally sound & with a pretty good pace : Emotion Glide & Bliss are two of my picks and have Excellent Reviews. Amazon is always a good place to view yaks and is usually best place for price...No Tax/No Shipping. Enjoy your research - It'll be fun.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HighRoad
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the blocks/tue down method?
It works fine for short trips but like was already said the blocks move around and I have lost one so far I'm looking for a more secure method

Quick Reply: Kayak rack for soft top