Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

knocking in steering wheel?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking in steering wheel?

I've only noticed it when its really hot out, but i feel a knocking in the steering wheel and in the sometimes in the pedals..little knocking vibrations, and i suppose it could be things changing shape cuz of the sudden heat here in maine (lows in the 30s and 40's at night, 80's and 90's during the day) and i noticed today with the windows down that i heard noises anytime i went over a big bump, nothing loud, but i dont know if something is loose or if im just worrying too much..any ideas? thanks everyone
Old 05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing... actually I asked my shop about it today when I was picking up my new Hi-Lift Jack... he said it is normal... how true that is I am not sure but I am interested in people's input. It almost feels like someone is hitting your steering wheel when you are holding on to it right?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandonbooth
Mine does the same thing... actually I asked my shop about it today when I was picking up my new Hi-Lift Jack... he said it is normal... how true that is I am not sure but I am interested in people's input. It almost feels like someone is hitting your steering wheel when you are holding on to it right?
thats EXACTLY what it feels like..a buddy at work has a newer tahoe, and his does something like it, and he asked the shop too, and he said he could fix it if its annoying him too much, but that its normal
Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

ya the guy at the shop said that you see it a lot in chevy's.... he said it is nothing to worry about but I am going to be watching this thread because I am very interested to see what a seasoned JK'er says about it.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah so far everything i've heard points to being normal..let's hope the guys on here that do their own work know, bcuz i don't know squat yet, still a kid that's not seasoned on everything yet..im "jeepin" my fingers crossed
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...steering+clunk

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...steering+clunk

Several threads on this prob, I had to replace my intermediate shaft and fixed it. Only reason they say it's normal is because so many people have this prob, it is fixable though.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Default Noise

I had this problem right after I bought mine used and I looked under the hood and I could see that a little poly bushing was missing that goes around the steering shaft when it goes through the firewall, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty and I have not had any problems since.

Just my two cents

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a frequently reported problem. It seems to show up more and more intensely in jeeps with larger wheels. Some have fixed it by removing the rubber joint cover/boot and using fifth wheel grease to pack the joint.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

my stock 09 x with the dinky 29" tires do this too...
Old 05-23-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you seen that cheesy universal joint on the steering shaft? Pathetic.

Quick Reply: knocking in steering wheel?