Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Knocking tranny

Old 07-12-2020, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking tranny

Hi ! , first post for me , my 2008 6 speed JKU is knocking when I press/de-press clutch , each time the load is released from tranny or when I'm shifting from 1-2 or 2-3 there is a knock , I made a video of it , vimeo link below

any idea someone ?
Old 07-19-2020, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

Are you in neutral or in gear when pressing the pedal? If in neutral then my guess is too much end play in the gear box and one gear is trying to engage when all the parts inside move backwards. Driveshaft is trying to rotate. Bearings! Is the gearbox noisy in the lower gears? Does the gear lever rattle in the lower gears? Heard these boxes are famous for that and eating selectors. How many k's on the vehicle-over 160k? Not a lot of guys rebuild them so be prepared to pay a lot.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Are you in neutral or in gear when pressing the pedal? If in neutral then my guess is too much end play in the gear box and one gear is trying to engage when all the parts inside move backwards. Driveshaft is trying to rotate. Bearings! Is the gearbox noisy in the lower gears? Does the gear lever rattle in the lower gears? Heard these boxes are famous for that and eating selectors. How many k's on the vehicle-over 160k? Not a lot of guys rebuild them so be prepared to pay a lot.

try both , put in 1 depress , knock , put in neutral depress , knock , put in second depress knock , put in 1st depress knock , each time the gear are changed and clutch depress there is a knock or if you removed the load

Quick Reply: Knocking tranny