Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak

Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak

I just bought a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2 days ago. Last night I backed it into the driveway (so it was on a downward slant). It rained quite a bit last night. This morning when I went to get in the jeep, there was about 1 inch of water on the floor on the drivers side and about 2 inchs of water (up to the seat bracket) on the passenger side. I attempted to find where the water had come from but I can not find it. The top and panals were on and I checked to make sure that it was on correct and it was. I checked all the pillars and found no moisture or signs of water. I am curious if this is an on going problem. Is there any other places i can check? maybe under the hood? Is there anything I can do to prevent this, like beef up the weather stripping? I know that its a jeep and will have some minor leaks but this seems like alot of water.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0511.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	360854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0512.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	360855  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

First you will want to pull your drain plugs to let the water out so it does not mold or rust. The hard tops are known to leak some have to worse than others. Mine leaks at the very front where the two freedom panels meet. You can try taking those off and looking at the weather stripping to make sure it's not damaged.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acizek4
I just bought a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2 days ago. Last night I backed it into the driveway (so it was on a downward slant). It rained quite a bit last night. This morning when I went to get in the jeep, there was about 1 inch of water on the floor on the drivers side and about 2 inchs of water (up to the seat bracket) on the passenger side. I attempted to find where the water had come from but I can not find it. The top and panals were on and I checked to make sure that it was on correct and it was. I checked all the pillars and found no moisture or signs of water. I am curious if this is an on going problem. Is there any other places i can check? maybe under the hood? Is there anything I can do to prevent this, like beef up the weather stripping? I know that its a jeep and will have some minor leaks but this seems like alot of water.
Mine have leaked as well. But from reading on here the rear screws may be in to tight. I backed mine off and drove through a car wash a few times and no leaks.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just how tight should those freedom panel screws be???? It seems they could almost tighten endlessly!!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poker5150
Just how tight should those freedom panel screws be???? It seems they could almost tighten endlessly!!!!!
I've been doing it just till they've secured to the panels. It's kind of hard to explain, but they will be flush with the sound bar.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Ive the same thing happen... The water was coming in through the bottom of the doors.. Took 8 visits to the dealer to fix the problem
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same problem. Never that much water though. I usually get enough to soak the carpet. Dealership has been absolutely worthless in helping me with the problem. Mine is also a 2010.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

i just had hurricane Issac pass right over my house. for the first time mine leaked over the sound board a little. maybe a half of a cup total. and a little behind the rear view mirror about an ounce when i hit the brakes the first time after i got back in it. i guess that's not to bad since it had been rained on for 48 hours strait and subject to 70+ mile an hour winds the whole time.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

so I took off the freedom panels and there are no screws that hold on the hard top and I do not have the freedom panel knobs that go through the sound bar either. So the only thing secureing the tops is the 6 screws in the back and the levers that lock the freedom panels near the windshield. I can push up the top by the B pillar almost 1 inch. I guess I need to get screws for the hard top near the B pillar and knobs for the freedom panels and see if that helps.

My guess is since I was parked on a decline the water made it through the door seam at the B pillar and ran into the front floor boards.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just found some water under rear passenger seat. Any ideas! Mine is a 2012 4 door

Quick Reply: Leak