Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak proof fredom top?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak proof freedom top?

So after searching the forum and reading all the horror stories of those with a leaky freedom top I decided to call the dealership where I ordered mine to see what they had to say about it. I still have at least a few months before I get mine but they assure me that this problem has been resolved on all the newley manufactured. I however did not get that impression based on some of the posts I read that were only as old as last month.

How many of you think they are being straight forward with me? In my searching I didnt see any mention of Jeep actually settling on a gauranteed solution. Maybe I didnt dig deep enough.

Last edited by kalgra; 04-21-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: poor spelling
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

As a Jeep owner and a Jeep service advisor, I can say that we are still figthing water leaks at my dealership. If they have redesigned the top, I havent heard of it. I am not getting as many coming in as we used to, but we have managed to fix some of the ones we were fighting with. I really hope they get this taken care of soon. Of course my soft top hasnt leaked yet(knock on wood), but some of my friends jeeps have.

Chris
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Thats kinda what I figured. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

I have had my Freedom Top 3-piece hard top for almost a year now in some of the biggest, baddest Texas plains thunderstorms you have ever seen and I have yet to see a single drop of water enter the cabin of my Rubicon. To be honest until I saw this thread I didn't even know this was a common problem. I guess I got lucky! Hope you get it resolved.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kalgra
So after searching the forum and reading all the horror stories of those with a leaky freedom top I decided to call the dealership where I ordered mine to see what they had to say about it. I still have at least a few months before I get mine but they assure me that this problem has been resolved on all the newley manufactured. I however did not get that impression based on some of the posts I read that were only as old as last month.

How many of you think they are being straight forward with me? In my searching I didnt see any mention of Jeep actually settling on a gauranteed solution. Maybe I didnt dig deep enough.
there is nothing wrong with the freedom tops... i have one of the first tops oct 2006 . yes they leak when you put them on wrong. when i installed mine wrong, it leaked.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer and the dealer GM told me the exact same thing. Mine was in 4 times for leaks BUT they were able to fix it. The last time they had it 4 days and I would call every day to speak with the very nice service advisor assigned to me. They would fix one leak only to cause another. It was quite comical.

They did give me 3 years of full maintenance coverage for the hassle.
The soft top has never leaked

Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

All in all it seems like its pretty hit or miss. I have spoken with about 5 area service manager at 5 separate dealerships and have gotten 5 different oppinions. One said it was resolved and no longer a problem (of course this was the dealership I ordered mine from). Another said oh yeah its a huge problem and they dont know how to fix it. Another claimed it was the first time he had ever heard about it, and one said its not as big a deal as its been made out to be and the biggest majority that come in with leaks are fixed. The last guy said yeah its an issue about 15% of the time and he sees about one a week for the problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

No leaks in mine but then it doesn't rain much here in Nevada. I've taken mine through a local carwash a number of times and I've also used a pressure washer on it - no leaks. Guess I'm one of the lucky one - oh wait, maybe not - I did have the sway bar disconnect replaced when it didn't reconnect
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well - mine's about a month old (don't know actual build date, but I'm guessing about 2 months ago??) and it's leaking on both sides - I find small puddles of water by the front A-pillars - right to the side of the little tweeter pods. I've read about everyone having leaks in the center, but nothing about leaking on the sides - anyone get that cured??
Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 Rubicon with about 3200 miles and my top leaks. A few drops at each windshield piller. I really don't care about this and it is of no big deal. If this is what people are concerned with then perhaps perfection is something they will never receive. IF the top of the dash has a puddle then I would be concerned (maybe). It all depends on what people are calling a leak.

btw: Regarding what the dealer told you; if you see that his lips are moving - there is untruth in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: Leak proof fredom top?