Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak proof fredom top?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM
DLM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my 2 JK ,Chrysler bought back the 07 for leaks(7 times at dealer) got a 08 one month old and it leaks!! The only time I take the tops off is to adjust it. Good luck
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

no leaks, top on and off all the time, had it for over a year now. Im sure now that i said something it will start.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

No leaks so far in mine. It did leak once when I was washing it until I realized that I forgot to tighten the hand screw. Seems like it is very hit or miss. Before I signed on the dotted line, I made the salesman drive through the car wash with me to check for leaks.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Default fix leak

i was reading and just thought of this it worked on my t tops. claer silcone rubber and seran rap. lay a line down were leak is originating from place seran rap on top place your freedom covers on. not sure if it will work but it did for my t tops.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine was a Nov 31 2006 Build date, Purchased Dec 29th 2006. Right now just shy of 31,000 miles. Mine has never leaked a drop. Last summer I left the sound bars screw out all summer since I take the panels off so much. I have had mine off twice this year for far so the screws are out again. It rained pretty hard yesterday and no leaks....
Old 04-21-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
apparently I haven't learned how to do it correctly in the past year (and neither has the service dept that supposedly fixed mine by replacing the seal and then saying it didn't leak any more)

So fill me in- what is this secret method of putting them on that guarantees no leaks
put both panels on... passenger side then drivers side.

after they are both on, lift the drivers panel up where the panels meet. then the passenger. lower both panels straight down, passenger then driver. this will make sure the center seal is properly seated.

after both are down, sqeeze the 2 together to make sure they are as close as they can get with your hand. latch the windshield levers.

latch all the "L" levers

screw in handscrews.

mine leaked originally from the dealer. right above the rearview mirror, i would end up with a few drops above the radio. ever since i followed the above, no leaks.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

It was raining the day I bought my Jeep and it had a few drops on the dash and on the MYGIG. So yes, mine has leaked ever since new. I havent taken it in to get fixed but I also havent driven it in the rain again. Its been snowing here.

Last edited by kntr; 04-26-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to discuss a topic thats probably been beaten to death with a newbie such as me.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They have redesigned the seal up front. Maybe that's what they were referring to. Mine is an 08, and I've had the top off several times and no leaks yet at ALL. It is vitally important to follow the instructions in the owner's manual, though.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
They have redesigned the seal up front. Maybe that's what they were referring to. Mine is an 08, and I've had the top off several times and no leaks yet at ALL. It is vitally important to follow the instructions in the owner's manual, though.
agreed, same here...no issues...knock on wood. And it has been off a few times and we have had a bit of rain in jersey already.

Quick Reply: Leak proof fredom top?