Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Leak proof fredom top?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 that has never had the top off and it is going in this sat. for a leak between the front panels and a major leak on the rear glass and tailgate. After a small rain shower there was alot of water in the back jack compartment and carpet. The dealership had to order all new seals and all of them were on backorder for two weeks. I hope it gets fixed this weekend.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by woodmasterfox
I have had my Freedom Top 3-piece hard top for almost a year now in some of the biggest, baddest Texas plains thunderstorms you have ever seen and I have yet to see a single drop of water enter the cabin of my Rubicon. To be honest until I saw this thread I didn't even know this was a common problem. I guess I got lucky! Hope you get it resolved.
Same here...nary a drop in 4 months of Texas storms, the occasional wash, and top panels taken off and put on numerous times.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

No leaks here either. In the year I've had my JK I've had the panels off numerous times without a drop of water inside. I just follow the sequence given in the owners manual for removal and do the reverse when reinstalling. Seems to work for me.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine leaked badly, to the point that the cubby in front of the shifter would fill up and overflow onto the carpet. brought it in, they gave me new freedom panels, no more leaks.

also, i have read that some sil-glyde on the windshield header seal hides leaks.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Well, I have an 08 that the dealer got 3 weeks ago,, and I picked it up friday.. havent had the tops off yet,, just hit 210 miles,, and after a major t-storm saturday night I had a puddle the size of a quater on my center console.. I think they arent on right tho.. they dont line up flat front to back and I get a whistle on the highway.. which I didnt get on the test drive but did leaving..
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

picked up my new rubicon today. it poured all day and no leaks, hope thats a good sign. its only got 49 miles on it
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

um.... just for the record.
at least for us "desert rat types"...

get a damp cloth and wipe down the seals on the tops (get the dust off) before you put them on...

it always works for me... no leaks.
give it a shot.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Two months, so far so good. Followed the instruction sleeve that was on the visor when the Jeep was new and have had no problems. I take the panels off and on almost every day (Birdshit problem where I have to park). They are cycled so often, I'm expecting to have to replace the seals annually. No problem.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

I'm just amused that you asked. Of course your dealer told you exactly what you wanted to hear. Did you think they would say something different? I've said it before, to those who have leaks it's a serious problem and I don't want to minimize that. The other side of that, though, is that for every person who has leaks and have posted here, there are 1000 JKs out there that don't leak. My opinion only, but don't worry about it till you get your jeep, be very careful with the front panels, and wait to see what happens. If it leaks it's a big deal, but life's to short to worry about stuff you have no control over.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by gjeepguy
put both panels on... passenger side then drivers side.

after they are both on, lift the drivers panel up where the panels meet. then the passenger. lower both panels straight down, passenger then driver. this will make sure the center seal is properly seated.

after both are down, sqeeze the 2 together to make sure they are as close as they can get with your hand. latch the windshield levers.

latch all the "L" levers

screw in handscrews.

mine leaked originally from the dealer. right above the rearview mirror, i would end up with a few drops above the radio. ever since i followed the above, no leaks.

Mine has not leaked yet....***KNOCK ON WOOD***. However, I get a brutal wind noise at the front (windsheild) where the panels join. I never had this when my wife and I drove it off the lot. I have followed your steps.... adjusted several times.......but still get the stupid windnoise especially above 80km/hr (50mph). The only thing I can think about is that the panels are not getting down on the windshield tight enough or I am over tightening the rear screws into the rollbar or the seam between the two panels is slightly warped.

Also, I am not sure if the seal on the passenger side has been damaged or not. Any pictures of what the seals look like at the front would be awesome to determine if they have been damaged.

Quick Reply: Leak proof fredom top?