Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky JK 2 door softtop

Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky JK 2 door softtop

Got in my jeep this morning, inch of water in the driver side... not impressed..

Underlay is seperated from the carpet now and it smells a bit.

"Leak expert" looking at it on Tuesday. I brought it to the dealer and made them vaccuum it up. The women in service said "Oh, the 07 Wrangler, I'm very familiar with that leak...." It's obviously a problem and not just on the Freedom top....

I'll let you know the results on Tuesday.

Matt
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fattygio
Got in my jeep this morning, inch of water in the driver side... not impressed..

Underlay is seperated from the carpet now and it smells a bit.

"Leak expert" looking at it on Tuesday. I brought it to the dealer and made them vaccuum it up. The women in service said "Oh, the 07 Wrangler, I'm very familiar with that leak...." It's obviously a problem and not just on the Freedom top....

I'll let you know the results on Tuesday.

Matt

When i received mine it leaked at the top of the doors, directly above the interior door handles/lock paddles - equally on both sides.

In the seals at the roof right above those handles there is a split where two sections come together. Mine was dripping out of that union. I released the front latches, ran a rag across where it seals to the windshield top & reseated it. It stopped leaking so i assumed it wasnt latched correctly or had some dirt or something stuck in it. To be safe & because i wanted to do SOMETHING to my Jeep one night, i put some clear RTV inside the rubberized joint where those two pieces of molding come together. I dont know if it helped, but i figured it couldnt hurt. *shrugs*
Old 03-16-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

I flooded my jeep last month. My top leaked too. BECAUSE I LEFT THE BACK WINDOW OUT. I was really srprised by how much water was there the next morning. Have you learned how to get your top on correctly? I thought you were asking about this not too long ago? I had alot of water, sure but I did have a 5 foot wide by 2 foot tall hole in the back of mine. Seems like a lot of water for a torn weatherstrip.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

yeah, i believe you mentioned a torn seal or something?

hmmm....

Is the door seating properly? if not, the entire roof could drain into it. (it does when you open it after a hard rain! , I keep forgetting to give it a shake before i open the door and i keep wetting myself)
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

i had an issue with my four door leaking on the driver side top forward area of the door... it ran down the window trim in behind my tweeters... the next time i took the top down, i looked at the weather stripping and it looked like whoever did, did not line it up correctly... i moved it back into place and then pushed forward on the top as i locked down each side... no more leaks thus far
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

i had an issue with the driver side floor constantly being wet, but there was never any standing water. my leak was the result of a tear in the weatherstrip between the windshield and the soft top, which i think is a common problem. not sure why, but i think a lot of them came from the factory split. hopefully mine is good to go since i don't want to be stuck driving the sweet ford focus the dealership gave me as a loaner the first time again...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a leak expert into the dealership and according to him, the "smocks" he called them on the door were put on backwards at the factory... common leak apparently on 07 JK...anyway apparently the leak is gone.. I'll keep an eye on it.

matt
Old 03-25-2007, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I am lucky have had the top off twice and went through an auto carwash with my fingers crossed after reading this post and NO LEAKS on my 2 dr soft top....
Old 03-25-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddycasey
Guess I am lucky have had the top off twice and went through an auto carwash with my fingers crossed after reading this post and NO LEAKS on my 2 dr soft top....
I would find a new car wash. If you can go through the car wash twice with your tops off and not get any water in, somethings wrong!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I would find a new car wash. If you can go through the car wash twice with your tops off and not get any water in, somethings wrong!

Quick Reply: Leaky JK 2 door softtop