Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

leaky transmission.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky transmission.

Mid-way through a wheeling trip today, I decided to check under the JK to make sure everything was in tact.

Low and behold I see this. Is this something of concern?

Also, my JK burns oil like no ones business, about 4 quarts in 2200 miles. I just added two quarts today after putting four quarts in about a month ago. I cannot find a leak anywhere, was wondering if it would make its way down to my transmission making it seem like its leaking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_165201.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	355561
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

...might be a bad clutch throw-out bearing
Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lanslide
Well, aside from the first gear pop-out, I have had no other issues with my clutch/transmission, would that matter?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it is the throw-out bearing - it could suddenly fail and leave you stranded since it is operated hydraulically. This happened to my 93YJ when it was brand new.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it is the throw-out bearing - it could suddenly fail and leave you stranded since it is operated hydraulically. This happened to my 93YJ when it was brand new.
Great, something else to worry about.

Did your YJ have any prior symptoms before the throw-out bearing failed?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throw out bearing is a bearing clipped to the release fork, which is actuated by the clutch slave cylinder, so its not the throw out bearing.

This recently happened to me. Check your brake fluid reservoir, which is divided into two sections. The rear section is smaller, this is where the fluid for your clutch is stored. If it is low, you have a bad slave cylinder, easy twenty minute fix. Make sure you pop the cap to check, it can be difficult to see through the plastic. There will be no symptoms until the reservoir is empty, then you will lose most, if not all ability to use the clutch.

If it is not low, then you have one of two problems. Either the engine's rear main seal is leaking, or the input shaft shaft seal of the tranny is leaking.

Last edited by Blakspire; 08-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

...slave cylinder - that's what I meant - not throw-out bearing
Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

I second Blakspire's post. If that is engine oil, trace that leak up the bell housing to find a source.

If it is the rear main seal I understand that it is DIY possible but a major PITA. Let's hope it is a leaky slave cylinder.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakspire
The throw out bearing is a bearing clipped to the release fork, which is actuated by the clutch slave cylinder, so its not the throw out bearing.

This recently happened to me. Check your brake fluid reservoir, which is divided into two sections. The rear section is smaller, this is where the fluid for your clutch is stored. If it is low, you have a bad slave cylinder, easy twenty minute fix. Make sure you pop the cap to check, it can be difficult to see through the plastic. There will be no symptoms until the reservoir is empty, then you will lose most, if not all ability to use the clutch.

If it is not low, then you have one of two problems. Either the engine's rear main seal is leaking, or the input shaft shaft seal of the tranny is leaking.
Thank you, hopefully it isn't the rear main seal. I will try to locate the source tomorrow.

Originally Posted by whiskey_golf
I second Blakspire's post. If that is engine oil, trace that leak up the bell housing to find a source.

If it is the rear main seal I understand that it is DIY possible but a major PITA. Let's hope it is a leaky slave cylinder.
Yes, that is what I'm hoping for.

Thank you all for the help!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your oil consumption is alarming though!

Quick Reply: leaky transmission.