Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

License plate stock bracket and LOD

Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default License plate stock bracket and LOD

Anyone know if

A. I should bother replacing this stock license plate holder? Or another option?

B. Can I replace it without having to disassemble my LOD rear bumper. It looks as if the screws where mine broke are blocked by the bumper.

See pic. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1199979078.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	656536   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1845123628.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	474.0 KB
ID:	656537  
Old 09-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can put a stock bracket back on there, there are 2 screws that hold it to the body close to the plug. Mine was torn off similarly and I've reattached it with just the 2 screws behind the main section.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You can put a stock bracket back on there, there are 2 screws that hold it to the body close to the plug. Mine was torn off similarly and I've reattached it with just the 2 screws behind the main section.
Great to know. Is there a beefier screw I can use. Mine didn't really rip off. Hit a bump so hard that it broke lose. Don't want that to happen again.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

There are originally 4 screws holding it in. I wouldn't go with a beefier screw at the risk of tearing the sheet metal and tabs they're screwed into. A tire mounted bracket may be a better option for you at this point.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

There are originally 4 screws holding it in. I wouldn't go with a beefier screw at the risk of tearing the sheet metal and tabs they're screwed into. A tire mounted bracket may be a better option for you at this point.
The sheet metal and tabs appear to be my problem. It looks like the screws pulled straight out of them. I was able to recover my plate and bracket. I planned on cleaning and spray painting the bracket to make it look like new.

Are the metal tabs and sheet metal replaceable? What is the trick to getting this back together?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever thought about just getting a plug and relocate to spare?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

No idea on replaceable parts. It should be easy to put back together, mine didn't put up any fight while screwing it back together.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by catahoula
Ever thought about just getting a plug and relocate to spare?
I definitely did but just want to explore this fix first. I'd rather spend the $50-$100 on other parts than a relocation bracket.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

No idea on replaceable parts. It should be easy to put back together, mine didn't put up any fight while screwing it back together.
Yea weird. Mine went back in somewhat tight this evening when I put it all back together.

I'm gonna see if I can find a license place bracket. Someone on the forum most likely has a spare. Then I'll just get the same screw but maybe slightly more course or possibly put super glue on the threads when I put it in.

It seems as if it was engineered to have the two main screws that hold the entire bracket and then the two bottom screws that hold the plate to the vehicle should the top fail. This way you don't completely lose the plate all together.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Yea weird. Mine went back in somewhat tight this evening when I put it all back together.

I'm gonna see if I can find a license place bracket. Someone on the forum most likely has a spare. Then I'll just get the same screw but maybe slightly more course or possibly put super glue on the threads when I put it in.

It seems as if it was engineered to have the two main screws that hold the entire bracket and then the two bottom screws that hold the plate to the vehicle should the top fail. This way you don't completely lose the plate all together.
I have my stock one still.

Quick Reply: License plate stock bracket and LOD