Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Locked out!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out!

Here's the scenario:

It had snowed all day; hit the key fob to unlock all the doors; opened the back driver-side door and grabbed the snow brush/ice scraper; closed the back door; opened the driver door, reached in, and started the engine; closed the driver door; cleaned off the windows; went to get in and all the doors were locked!

I've tried to recreate the chain of events (at home in my nice, warm garage), with no luck. Anybody else experienced anything like this?

My best guess is that I bumped the door lock switch while starting the engine, but I sure don't remember hearing it lock. Lucky for me I was only about a 5-minute walk from my wife's office where I could steal her key. I'd have been screwed if I'd been out in the boonies!

Anybody???
Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would say probably so. Many people have locked them selves out just by hitting the switch. To bad Jeep doesnt have the function where you cant lock the doors while your keys are in the ignition and your not in the car. My Hyundai had some sensor for that.

Normally i would say leave one door open, cracked, window open, something... but you also said Snow/Ice and ummm well i would want to have my jeep shut tight with the heater on so not sure
Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Aha! Finally an opportunity to say that I'm glad I have a soft top!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN THOSE POWER AMENITIES!!!!

I'm glad I got a soft top too. Boy, I used to think key-fob unlocking was the greatest thing ever. Then I went soft top... and no locks... Wow, would a world without worry, thieves and locks be a great world!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2
Originally Posted by Altitude Adjustment

I have a key that will only unlock doors and not start the vehicle. In the mornings I start the Jeep, lock the doors, srape windows, and then go back in. Then I use the extra key to regain entry.

Do they make those credit card plastic key things for Jeeps? That would be perfect for putting in your wallet for situations like this on the trail, at the mall, on vacation, etc...
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Altitude Adjustment
ditto on that
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

I have opened the rear doors to often have them locked when I shut them. I can almost guarentee that it is from bumping the door to reach the floor. The doors do not have the indexing to hold them open, so often I am holding it open with my shoulder as I reach in, thus locking the door. After reading many lock out stories on this forum, I just leave a door open while brushing the car off and waiting for it to warm up. It takes a little while for the heat to start coming out and by then the car is brushed off.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hiteck
...Do they make those credit card plastic key things for Jeeps? That would be perfect for putting in your wallet for situations like this on the trail, at the mall, on vacation, etc...
Excellent idea!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hiteck
X2

I have a key that will only unlock doors and not start the vehicle. In the mornings I start the Jeep, lock the doors, srape windows, and then go back in. Then I use the extra key to regain entry.

Do they make those credit card plastic key things for Jeeps? That would be perfect for putting in your wallet for situations like this on the trail, at the mall, on vacation, etc...
where do you get a key like that?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far this is all I've found:

You have to buy them in bulk.

These are for promotional puproses...hmmmm Project JK keys or possible group buy?

hillmangroup.com/ekey.htm

I just called my dealer and he'd never heard of such. I know I've had them before and I was pretty sure my dodge ('86) had them as well as my '94 GMC. The only new vehicles I remember purchasing that came with them.

Quick Reply: Locked out!