Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Locked out!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump

Anybody ever find a Spare Key solution??
Credit card, Chipless where to buy ect.....?
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get one of those "old fashioned" magnetic key boxes and put it on the Jeep somewhere you can get to it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSmile
Get ya one of these and throw a key(without chip) in it

Just Google "Hitch Key Vault"

Good lord. Somebody that needs that probably needs some automatic weaponery if their neighborhood is that bad.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

You should get the Master Lock #1467DAT. It is a receiver hitch lock that has a storage area for spare keys and stuff. My X-girlfriend had one on her tahoe and It was great. When we woud go tubing you could lock your keys in it so you didnt have to take them down the river and it was a combo lock. I would keep a set of keys in there for her because she always locked herself out of her chevy. I did have a key made for her at walmart that would only unlock the doors not start the car for about $5 and ducked taped it to her frame so when she would lock her keys inside. (She locked herself outside her car about once a week, sometimes twice) I think they were about $25 at TSC.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Good lord. Somebody that needs that probably needs some automatic weaponery if their neighborhood is that bad.
I've got one of these on my wife's car. works wonderfully.

for a spare key that is chipless--easy, just go to locksmith or walmart or whatever and have them copy your key onto a blank that doesn't have the chip, then it will open the door but do nothing else.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

AAA has the plastic type keys that you are talking about. I have had one for all my vehicles and I am ready to get one for the JK now even if I do have a soft top.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

I called AAA yesterday. Locked the keys in with it running! He used a metal rod and went in between the top of the front DS door and the freedom top panel. He was in in 3 minutes. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it... It didn't cost me anything though!

I'd like to get one of them credit card keys!! Sounds like a good idea!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your not up for the wallet thing, 4" of duct tape and spray on bedliner, stick key to tape, stick tape to jeep somewhere where it wont get peeled off, squirt with bedliner, poof, gone. If you ever need it, youll be the only one who knows where it is. Far more secure than one of those magnetic things that fall off rather easily.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do this all the time, leaving the Jeep running while moving the other car around in the driveway. The Hitch Vault or keep a spare with me right away.

Great forum, thank you
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

I don't know if my jeep is the odd one out or something but my doors will NOT lock when it's running, good and bad thing if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Locked out!