Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Looking for a write-up for clutch job.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

c. Using a gear puller remove tcase output yoke to access tcase shifter linkage tab behind it
Don't need a gear puller, and don't take that off! Just snap off the plastic link on the xfer case end of the shift cable by prying with a large flat screwdriver. Takes 3 seconds, and if it's old and brittle the plastic bushing will crumble-break. The bushing is a couple bucks, and I'd replace it anyway unless it's been recently installed -- And keep a spare in the Jeep too.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Don't need a gear puller, and don't take that off! Just snap off the plastic link on the xfer case end of the shift cable by prying with a large flat screwdriver. Takes 3 seconds, and if it's old and brittle the plastic bushing will crumble-break. The bushing is a couple bucks, and I'd replace it anyway unless it's been recently installed -- And keep a spare in the Jeep too.
Okay cool. I did buy one of those already.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, I had one more question. I figure when I take everything apart I will have my answer, but could you tell me the parts I need to grease? And the bolts I need to thread lock? I know I need to do axle bolts, but do I use red or blue? Do I need to the flywheel bolts?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Michael Belliveau
Hey, I had one more question. I figure when I take everything apart I will have my answer, but could you tell me the parts I need to grease? And the bolts I need to thread lock? I know I need to do axle bolts, but do I use red or blue? Do I need to the flywheel bolts?

Thanks
  • Blue thread lock, Mopar calls it lock 'n seal. The small bolts for the CV joints (get a tiny amount), clutch cover bolts, flywheel bolts. The manual calls for new flywheel bolts, which come with a seal-lock compound pre-applied. The clutch cover bolts also come with it pre-applied. Some re-use them, I'd recommend replacing. The threads in the crank are through-hole, so without a thread lock-seal oil can wick past the threads and be thrown directly on the clutch surfaces!
  • Anti-seez the bell housing bolts, starter bolts, exhaust bolts, O2 sensors (leave first thread bare), cross-member bolts, and similiar.
  • Very light coat of hi-temp moly grease on the trans input shaft splines. Most clutches come with a little plastic tube. I also spray some moly dry lube on the splines first. The grease amount should be very light, as in apply with q-tip, slide disc on splines, remove disc, wipe with a clean rag leaving only a thin amount remaining. Slide clutch disc back on, remove it, and make sure no excess is on either the internal (disc) or external (trans input shaft) splines. Grease that flys off the splines goes into the clutch.
Maybe someone else has more tips on this...

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-26-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

• Blue thread lock, Mopar calls it lock 'n seal. The small bolts for the CV joints, clutch cover bolts, flywheel bolts. The manual calls for new flywheel bolts, which come with a seal-lock compound pre-applied. The clutch cover bolts also come with it pre-applied. Some re-use them, I'd recommend replacing. The threads in the crank are through-hole, so without a thread lock-seal oil can wick past the threads and be thrown directly on the clutch surfaces!
  • Anti-seez the bell housing bolts, starter bolts, exhaust bolts, O2 sensors (leave first thread bare), cross-member bolts, and similiar.
  • Very light coat of hi-temp moly grease on the trans input shaft splines. Most clutches come with a little plastic tube. I also spray some moly dry lube on the splines first. The grease amount should be very light, as in apply with q-tip, slide disc on splines, remove disc, wipe with a clean rag leaving only a thin amount remaining. Slide clutch disc back on, remove it, and make sure no excess is on either the internal (disc) or external (trans input shaft) splines. Grease that flys off the splines goes into the clutch.
Maybe someone else has more tips on this...
I'll buy new bolts. Just want to make sure I get the right ones.
Flywheel bolts 6507240AA
Clutch cover bolts 6501474
I can find where it says how many I need and I am sure I get figure it out with enough searching, but do you know the quantity I need off the top of your head?
All other hardware is reusable right?
​​​​

Old 01-26-2021, 02:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

I'll buy new bolts. Just want to make sure I get the right ones.
Flywheel bolts 6507240AA
Clutch cover bolts 6501474
I can find where it says how many I need and I am sure I get figure it out with enough searching, but do you know the quantity I need off the top of your head?
All other hardware is reusable right?
​​​​
8 on the flywheel and 6 for the clutch cover.
Except the exhaust flange bolts, the rest can be re-used.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

8 on the flywheel and 6 for the clutch cover.
Except the exhaust flange bolts, the rest can be re-used.
Wow you're good! Were those the right part numbers?
Old 01-26-2021, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Wow you're good! Were those the right part numbers?
Yep, looks good.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you everyone for your help. I just finished installing my clutch and y'all made it a lot easier! Special thanks to Mr. T for answering all 1 million of my questions!
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Belliveau:
Mark Doiron (02-24-2021), Mr.T (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Thank you everyone for your help. I just finished installing my clutch and y'all made it a lot easier! Special thanks to Mr. T for answering all 1 million of my questions!
It was fun talking with you, maybe one day we'll hit a trail together!

Quick Reply: Looking for a write-up for clutch job.