Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for a write-up for clutch job.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for a write-up for clutch job.

Does anyone have a link to a write-up for a clutch/flywheel replacement? 2008 JKU X 3.8L 6 speed.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 01-23-2021, 03:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

This thread isn't the perfect step by step write up that you're looking for, but there is some good information in here. Too bad the pictures are long gone. This sounds like a big job.....if it's taking Dirtman 10 hrs and other members 15 hrs. Holy cow.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-info-285330/

This seems to be a pretty good video of the process too -

The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That video is actually what I used (and still refer to it). I've pulled it down a few times now and I can be start to finish in 8 hours if it's not too cold in the garage- my last throwout bearing change was at 30°. Replace the spring in there as well, it's $5. @Mr T has a good bunch of pics in his build thread on clutch related items.
Mr.T (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That video is actually what I used (and still refer to it). I've pulled it down a few times now and I can be start to finish in 8 hours if it's not too cold in the garage- my last throwout bearing change was at 30°. Replace the spring in there as well, it's $5. @Mr T has a good bunch of pics in his build thread on clutch related items.
I have a weekend blocked out for this job, and a back up vehicle if I break something. Haha. There aren't any specialized tools that I need right? I have all the the basics (plus some) and have changed a clutch on the rx7 many moons ago and don't remember it being that difficult. I bought a transmission jack, and every part I could think of that might need replacing. I don't need a press for the pilot bearing because I am replacing the flywheel right? I guess I should check if the pilot bearing is already in the flywheel...
Old 01-23-2021, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I don't think there was anything extra outside of a lot of extensions to get the top two bolts from the transmission. The pilot bearing was in the flywheel but I didn't replace mine, I just roughed it up. The job really isn't so bad. I'd remove the tcase from the transmission as it's easier to move that way. When you've got it off, go ahead and change the fluid in it (atf+4). There are some larger torx that hold your shift tower on but I don't recall the size on them and if it was necessary or just nice to have it removed.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think there was anything extra outside of a lot of extensions to get the top two bolts from the transmission. The pilot bearing was in the flywheel but I didn't replace mine, I just roughed it up. The job really isn't so bad. I'd remove the tcase from the transmission as it's easier to move that way. When you've got it off, go ahead and change the fluid in it (atf+4). There are some larger torx that hold your shift tower on but I don't recall the size on them and if it was necessary or just nice to have it removed.
Cool. I just checked and pilot bearing is in the new flywheel already. I have be contemplating whether to take the transfer case off or not. I accidentally bought a really big transmission jack because in the picture it looks significantly smaller so I know it would be able to hold the transfer case and transmission adequately. Would you still recommend taking this transfer case off separately?
Old 01-23-2021, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
This thread isn't the perfect step by step write up that you're looking for, but there is some good information in here. Too bad the pictures are long gone. This sounds like a big job.....if it's taking Dirtman 10 hrs and other members 15 hrs. Holy cow.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-info-285330/

This seems to be a pretty good video of the process too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmG9R1f8kxo
After reading most of the posts in that link you sent me, I looked up TSB 06-002-07 and it looks like it only applies the 2006 and 2007 transmission? So I am not going to need to add the washers behind the pivot ball thing right?
Old 01-23-2021, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I prefer separating them because then the weight is more even. The tcase is clocked and it is offset so it's awkward to pull down with the trans. I end up drooping the tail of the transmission to get it lined up and get those top two bolts started. It also helps with sliding up into the opening in the floor. Speaking of which, you might want to order the foam donut now since it goes between the trans and the tub- you'll have exactly one chance to put it in. I used the smaller HF trans jack and just stabilized it with my legs- it's an awkward thing to do solo, but doable. I use the jack to pick it up most of the way and then just manually lift and align...while trying to stab bolts.
​​​​
Old 01-23-2021, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

I prefer separating them because then the weight is more even. The tcase is clocked and it is offset so it's awkward to pull down with the trans. I end up drooping the tail of the transmission to get it lined up and get those top two bolts started. It also helps with sliding up into the opening in the floor. Speaking of which, you might want to order the foam donut now since it goes between the trans and the tub- you'll have exactly one chance to put it in. I used the smaller HF trans jack and just stabilized it with my legs- it's an awkward thing to do solo, but doable. I use the jack to pick it up most of the way and then just manually lift and align...while trying to stab bolts.
​​​​
SSounds good. I will remove them separately than. Ya I am doing it solo also. Do you happen to know the part number or a link to this donut you were referring? And any other parts you think I may need. I have 3 days off work and my mother is watching my kids so I really don't want to get stuck because I find I need to replace a part and order it then I need to wait 2 more months untill I can coordinate child care again. Haha. I'm exaggerating a bit but I really would like to get it done all at once.
Parts I already have are:
Clutch kit, flywheel, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch fork, clutch fork pivot ball, clutch fork retaining spring, Mopar Grease, manual transmission fluid, ATF plus 4, fluid transfer pump, permatex drain plug sealant, transmission jack. I'm also changing out my catalytic converter so I got a new catalytic converter direct fit from Walker and exhaust bolts and O2 sensors. Also on that topic there's no gasket that connects the y-pipe to the headers correct? I bought some permatex exhaust sealant that they say is catalytic converter and O2 safe. ..... My stimulus money went fast haha
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Here's some notes that may help:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4321526
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...7/#post4370355

And I'd recommend getting a Mopar release bearing, it actually has "Made in USA" on the box. Just had a failure, and did the whole job again. Haven't had time to add this to the above thread, but saw your post and thought it was worth mentioning.

karls10jk (01-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Looking for a write-up for clutch job.